Frequent topic - WIN98SE and WINXPpro problems on LAN

G

I have 3 PC's on my home LAN. 2 are 98SE and the other is now XP following a successful upgrade. They are all connected via an ADSL router.

Configuration details:

All machines are in the same workgroup. (MSHOME)
The firewall is disabled on the XP machine.
Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled on all machines.
All machines have unique names.
All machines are using Client For Microsoft Networks
DHCP is enabled on all machines
The router has correctly allocated IP addresses to each machine (two IPs on the 98SE machine handling the ADSL connection). I can see that all machines are correctly registered on the routers internal IP tables.

Symptoms:

The 98SE machines work OK.
File/printer sharing works and both connect to the internet.
Neither machine can see the XP machine in the network neighbourhood.
Neither machine can PING the XP machine

The XP machine connects to the internet OK.
The XP machine cannot see any other machines on the network neghbourhood - search does not find any other machines either
The XP machine can PING both of the 98SE machines

The fact that the XP machine can connect to the Internet and can PING the other machines seems to eliminate hardware, cable or port problems.

Despite spending most of today on various forums following their hints, tips and suggestions I'm about to give up !!!

In desparation I thought I'd see if anyone here can point me in the right direction - please.

PaulP

G

Further ....

after more 'playing' with "Workgroup Name" in system properties (I changed it to a dummy name and changed it back to MSHOME) I have managed to get the 98SE machines to see the XP machine as part of the workgroup in Network Neighbourhood but when I try to open the XP machine I get the error messag

"the computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it correctly and try again" - this is an odd message because 98SE automatically populates the icon and associated name

On the XP machine when I go to My Network Places and try to View Workgroup Computers I get the error messag

"MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the admistrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The lsit of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

So each half of the LAN can almost see the other but something isn't quite lined up correctly

Paul

J

John

I am having the same exact problem. I hope someone can
help us...

-----Original Message-----
Further .....

after more 'playing' with "Workgroup Name" in system
properties (I changed it to a dummy name and changed it
back to MSHOME) I have managed to get the 98SE machines to
see the XP machine as part of the workgroup in Network
Neighbourhood but when I try to open the XP machine I get
the error message
"the computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure
you typed it correctly and try again" - this is an odd
message because 98SE automatically populates the icon and
associated name.
On the XP machine when I go to My Network Places and try
to View Workgroup Computers I get the error message
"MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permissions
to use this network resource. Contact the admistrator of
this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The lsit of servers for this workgroup is not currently
available"
So each half of the LAN can almost see the other but
something isn't quite lined up correctly?

G

Fixed it...I think

I don't know whether it was a good nights sleep, coincidence or what but this morning I went into Advanced TCP/IP Settings and ticked the "Register this connection's address in DNS registration" and suddenly everything is now working!!

John - let me know if it fixes your problem

Paul

Ask a Question