Free Space Error Code OX80070070

My primary HD was partitioned for some unknown reason with a C: drive that's
8 MB and a D: drive that 74.5 MB. The D: is what's used for my Boot and
storage. I went to install Vista Premium and received the above error
message. Thus it's trying to install on the C: and has inadequate space. How
do I get the upgrade software to install on the D:? It's not asking me where
I would like to install which is typical of most software. BTW, the C: serves
me little if any purpose as there are no files there. Thus I would be happy
to have just one drive and no partition.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Gary,
Are you trying to upgrade or clean install?
Which drive is set as active?
I suspect the C drive is set as active.
Are you running setup from within an existing copy of Windows?
Is there a setupact.log in the windows folder with a current date?
If so sent it to me( remove the online from my email address)

What I suspect is happening is that the C drive is set as active so it's
considered the "system drive"
You can check this in disk management, it will show which drive is
considers the boot drive( contains windows) and the system drive( contains
the boot file)
When you run setup from within an existing copy of Windows, the boot.wim
file is copied to the "system drive"
then on reboot, you boot into that file( winpe based setup) That file
requires 350-450 meg of disk space on the "system drive"
If you boot to the DVD to do setup, that file is loaded into memory and
never has to be copied onto the hard drive so the requirement is different.
But if you are in an OS when you start setup, setup does have to copy that
file over and restart setup using that boot.wim file.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?R2FyeQ==?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Free Space Error Code OX80070070
|>Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:08:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>My primary HD was partitioned for some unknown reason with a C: drive
that's
|>8 MB and a D: drive that 74.5 MB. The D: is what's used for my Boot and
|>storage. I went to install Vista Premium and received the above error
|>message. Thus it's trying to install on the C: and has inadequate space.
How
|>do I get the upgrade software to install on the D:? It's not asking me
where
|>I would like to install which is typical of most software. BTW, the C:
serves
|>me little if any purpose as there are no files there. Thus I would be
happy
|>to have just one drive and no partition.
|>
|>Thanks in advance,
|>
|>Gary

Darrell:

Many thanks for your response! To answer your questions:

1. Upgrade using a retail version DVD.
2. Active is C: 7MB
3. No, I trying to run set-up by clicking on installation on the DVD screen
once up and running from my E: drive/DVD.
4. The log was sent to you directly!

4. So what's my next step?

Thks in advance!

Gary

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Gary,
Are you trying to upgrade or clean install?
Which drive is set as active?
I suspect the C drive is set as active. D is my boot!
Are you running setup from within an existing copy of Windows?
Is there a setupact.log in the windows folder with a current date?
If so sent it to me( remove the online from my email address)

What I suspect is happening is that the C drive is set as active so it's
considered the "system drive"
You can check this in disk management, it will show which drive is
considers the boot drive( contains windows) and the system drive( contains
the boot file)
When you run setup from within an existing copy of Windows, the boot.wim
file is copied to the "system drive"
then on reboot, you boot into that file( winpe based setup) That file
requires 350-450 meg of disk space on the "system drive"
If you boot to the DVD to do setup, that file is loaded into memory and
never has to be copied onto the hard drive so the requirement is different.
But if you are in an OS when you start setup, setup does have to copy that
file over and restart setup using that boot.wim file.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?R2FyeQ==?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Free Space Error Code OX80070070
|>Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:08:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>My primary HD was partitioned for some unknown reason with a C: drive
that's
|>8 MB and a D: drive that 74.5 MB. The D: is what's used for my Boot and
|>storage. I went to install Vista Premium and received the above error
|>message. Thus it's trying to install on the C: and has inadequate space.
How
|>do I get the upgrade software to install on the D:? It's not asking me
where
|>I would like to install which is typical of most software. BTW, the C:
serves
|>me little if any purpose as there are no files there. Thus I would be
happy
|>to have just one drive and no partition.
|>
|>Thanks in advance,
|>
|>Gary

Also, my C:is NTFS and D: FAT32
"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Gary,
Are you trying to upgrade or clean install?
Which drive is set as active?
I suspect the C drive is set as active.
Are you running setup from within an existing copy of Windows?
Is there a setupact.log in the windows folder with a current date?
If so sent it to me( remove the online from my email address)

What I suspect is happening is that the C drive is set as active so it's
considered the "system drive"
You can check this in disk management, it will show which drive is
considers the boot drive( contains windows) and the system drive( contains
the boot file)
When you run setup from within an existing copy of Windows, the boot.wim
file is copied to the "system drive"
then on reboot, you boot into that file( winpe based setup) That file
requires 350-450 meg of disk space on the "system drive"
If you boot to the DVD to do setup, that file is loaded into memory and
never has to be copied onto the hard drive so the requirement is different.
But if you are in an OS when you start setup, setup does have to copy that
file over and restart setup using that boot.wim file.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?R2FyeQ==?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Free Space Error Code OX80070070
|>Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:08:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>My primary HD was partitioned for some unknown reason with a C: drive
that's
|>8 MB and a D: drive that 74.5 MB. The D: is what's used for my Boot and
|>storage. I went to install Vista Premium and received the above error
|>message. Thus it's trying to install on the C: and has inadequate space.
How
|>do I get the upgrade software to install on the D:? It's not asking me
where
|>I would like to install which is typical of most software. BTW, the C:
serves
|>me little if any purpose as there are no files there. Thus I would be
happy
|>to have just one drive and no partition.
|>
|>Thanks in advance,
|>
|>Gary

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Gary,
You will have to increase the size of the C drive before setup can be run
from within your existing copy of Windows.
You can do a clean install by booting to the DVD to run setup.
D drive will have to be NTFS.