David H. Lipman

From: <[email protected]>

| I have Avast Premium as my main AV. Is it possible to have Free AVG
| on my comp at the same time, not set for on-access scans, but only for
| on-demand scans to double-check a file that Avast says is infected?

No, bad idea!

FromTheRafters

I have Avast Premium as my main AV. Is it possible to have Free AVG
on my comp at the same time, not set for on-access scans, but only for
on-demand scans to double-check a file that Avast says is infected?

It is probably possible, but I don't know for sure.

That being said, I have had two AV icons on my system tray for years
with no problems at all. I use ClamWin in the manner in which you intend
to use AVG. ClamWin has no active scanning component, but it *does* run
an update program, so both of my AVs keep themselves updated and prompt
me when upgrades become available.

As Rich suggested, there are online file submission scanners you can use
for help with additional opinions (virustotal.com, jotti.org, and
virscan.org to name a few - and they all communicate findings with the
participating vendors).

gufus

From: (e-mail address removed)
Subj: Free AVG Question??Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:28:33 -0500

Hello, (e-mail address removed)!

You wrote on Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:28:33 -0500:

c> I have Avast Premium as my main AV. Is it possible to have Free AVG
c> on my comp at the same time, not set for on-access scans, but only for
c> on-demand scans to double-check a file that Avast says is infected?

My answer.

Avira

Support information
Internet: http://www.avira.com/premium-support

carlE

Try over at http://www.virustotal.com/ for an on-line second, third,
fourth, ... opinion. It's a useful service.

I kinda just decided long ago to not visit any Web sites that want to
'examine' my machine. Yeah, I know, people say that there are some
useful ones, but I'm gonna keep my old habits. They've served me
quite well since I haven't had a virus/trojan infection for many
years. Back when - before I 'learned' my lesson, an especially nasty
virus ate my bios the first day I bought my first computer years back.
Once, ignorant. Twice, STUPID!

carlE

From: (e-mail address removed)
Subj: Free AVG Question??Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:28:33 -0500

Hello, (e-mail address removed)!

You wrote on Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:28:33 -0500:

c> I have Avast Premium as my main AV. Is it possible to have Free AVG
c> on my comp at the same time, not set for on-access scans, but only for
c> on-demand scans to double-check a file that Avast says is infected?

My answer.

Avira

Support information
Internet: http://www.avira.com/premium-support

Had Avira about a year ago. Didn't like it. Heard too many complaints
in the groups about people having a problem updating it.

carlE

It is probably possible, but I don't know for sure.

That being said, I have had two AV icons on my system tray for years
with no problems at all. I use ClamWin in the manner in which you intend
to use AVG. ClamWin has no active scanning component, but it *does* run
an update program, so both of my AVs keep themselves updated and prompt
me when upgrades become available.
I've read many, many times that one should never have two AVs or two
firewalls running at the same time. I ain't the adventurous type. Too
chicken, I guess.

FromTheRafters

I kinda just decided long ago to not visit any Web sites that want to
'examine' my machine.

They only "examine" the file you send them. This is *not* an online
scanner, it is an online file submission scanner.

(same with the others I mentioned)

FromTheRafters

I've read many, many times that one should never have two AVs or two
firewalls running at the same time. I ain't the adventurous type. Too
chicken, I guess.

It is the active scanning module that creates the most conflicts. Only
one of my AV programs has one. As for firewalls, I think it is redundant
and some have features that produce conflict.

gufus

Hi (e-mail address removed),

21 Mar 10, (e-mail address removed) writes to (e-mail address removed):

Had Avira about a year ago. Didn't like it. Heard too many
complaints in the groups about people having a problem
updating it.

I'm confused Carl, do you mean the FREE version? I've been using Avira Premium
for 3+ years now, with 0-problems. Updating or keeping my network clean.

gufus

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:[email protected]
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

.... Any smart houseworker knows -- "Don't do Windows"

carlE

Hi (e-mail address removed),

21 Mar 10, (e-mail address removed) writes to (e-mail address removed):

I'm confused Carl, do you mean the FREE version? I've been using Avira Premium
for 3+ years now, with 0-problems. Updating or keeping my network clean.

gufus

I had the paid for version. I *never* trust freebies when it comes to
firewalls or av products.

gufus

From: FredW
Subj: Re: Free AVG Question??Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:56:32 +0100

Hello, FredW!

You wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:56:32 +0100:

??>>> I'm confused Carl, do you mean the FREE version? I've been using
??>>> Avira Premium for 3+ years now, with 0-problems. Updating or keeping
??>>> my network clean.

??>> I had the paid for version. I *never* trust freebies when it comes to
??>> firewalls or av products.

F> The updating problems were for the free version only.
F> Millions of users are very happy with the excellent protection of the
F> free version.

Ah...

gufus

From: FredW
Subj: Re: Free AVG Question??Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:56:32 +0100

Hello, FredW!

You wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:56:32 +0100:

??>>> I'm confused Carl, do you mean the FREE version? I've been using
??>>> Avira Premium for 3+ years now, with 0-problems. Updating or keeping
??>>> my network clean.

??>> I had the paid for version. I *never* trust freebies when it comes to
??>> firewalls or av products.

You know, (the old saying) you get what you pay for.

gufus

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:[email protected]
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

Jerry Martin

FromTheRafters said:
They only "examine" the file you send them. This is *not* an online
scanner, it is an online file submission scanner.

(same with the others I mentioned)

Hello:

To make the process easier, you can use the VirusTotal Uploader that
"enables you to directly send files from your system using the context
menu".

See: http://www.virustotal.com/metodos.html .

Cheers,
Jerry