FQDN works externally but not internally as hosted on LAN ?

S

scott

SETUP
Got IIS hosting intranet on 192.168.2.2 and LAN is on another sub net.
Got FQ domain name directing external users to INTRANET using external ip.

PROBLEM
Domain name does not work for internal users (i.e when using domain name it
just tries to admin a router as the external IP address for the router is at
the other side).

SOLUTION
I thought I could change the IP of the domain name on internal DNS server
for internal users only so it would look to 192.168.2.2 when entering domain
into internet explorer on an internal machine.

Would this work ? anyone know how to do it ?

Thanks for any information.
Scott.

M

Michael Johnston [MSFT]

Yes, that should work. On the internal DNS server, change the IP of this record to reference the internal IP address of the IIS
server. This assumes that the internal DNS server is seperate from the DNS server hosting this domain name externally. Also,
depending on what host record you are using, this may not work. If you are simply trying to get mydomain.com to resolve to the
internal IP address of your IIS server, but mydomain.com is the dns name of your AD, this will not work. DCs register themselves
at this location. If you are using www.mydomain.com as the host record used to access the IIS site, this won't be a problem as
long as the internal DNS is seperate from the external DNS.

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
Microsoft Network Support
--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
which they originated.

Ask a Question