Four tip colors!!

tdc

Reaction score
Hi
I have an Acer Aspire 5820T laptop.
I would like to take it with us in our mobile home to store photos watch videos ect.
I also have a 12v to 230v charger which conects via cigarette lighter. I last used this a few years ago on a different laptop and no longer have the instuctions!
There are 4 different connectors which fit the laptop with 4 different colors:
red, yellow,black and orange.
The 240v home cable has a yellow tip.
Is it safe to try these conectors (starting with the yellow) to see which one works the laptop (do not want to fry the laptop)!!!!
Thanks.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Do you have the serial number for the charger ? You could look online for a manual that way :thumb:

Reaction score
Surely you have the original charger? So you know what output is needed for laptop?
The input and current needed to run and charge will also be embossed or printed on a label on the laptop?

Do you mean a 12v to 240v inverter?
You still need a stepdown appliance like the PSU for the laptop so I'm confused as to what you mean?
The colours I would think signify the size of the DC jack that plugs into the item you are using like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Pro-90...rg=20140407115239&rk=4&rkt=20&sd=261417350847

What ever you don't connect the laptop directly to 240v. You will literally hear it and watch it go boom likely causing you and your surroundings some damage

Last edited:

tdc

Reaction score
yes I have the original charger and the output is 19v.
yes it is an inverter.
The inverter came with 8 different conectors (as in ebay item) 4 of them fit the laotops power point.
So with 4 possibilities will all of them power up/ the laptop.
Sorry if this is a stupid question! We are all good at different things.!

Reaction score
Not a stupid question mate you just making sure..

Take a picture show us what you mean

Are the tips detachable? I take it they are if you have multiple choices

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a stupid question, if you don't know - ask.

The best way would be to measure the voltages of each connector with a voltmeter set to DC, you could pick up a cheap one or perhaps ask a friend to borrow theirs.

Failing that, searching for online manual is best bet. With multi-adapters, btw, there is no universal colour code for different voltages, each manufacturer will choose their own setup - but provide a manual with the key.

Ask a Question