format 2nd hard drive

G

I think I have formated my 2nd harddrive. How can I tell if this is done. It will be for data storage. I hook the primary cable to the new hard drive cs, rebooted with xp in cdrom. Pick new partition ntfs then it started to format the new hard drive. When I came back to look, it had started to load xp on the new hard drive. I wanted to format only. Could not stop the installing so I rebooted it (reset botton). Now I dont know if it is format or not?

thanks for the help
bob

G

make sure the 2nd drive is set on the second IDE connector cable--this will make it a slave drive. Make sure your #1 drive is set on the farthest out IDE connector maste
fire up the computer; if you right click on my comuputer and go to manage; choose dismanagement , right click on the slave drive and left click to choose format

G

----- Glimmer Man wrote: ----

make sure the 2nd drive is set on the second IDE connector cable--this will make it a slave drive. Make sure your #1 drive is set on the farthest out IDE connector maste
fire up the computer; if you right click on my comuputer and go to manage; choose dismanagement , right click on the slave drive and left click to choose forma

yes to the ide connector cable, both drives are cs. I went to manage,choose diskmanagement right click on the slave drive and left click to choose format, but format was not highlighted
disk management shows 2nd drive healthy page file, no fault tolerance
I went to my computer open and right click on the 2nd drive, format, it shows that quit any disk utilities or programs then try formating again.?? Its a new drive nothing is on it, to be used.
I had a smaller hard drive that I took out to replace with the new bigger 2nd drive
Any thing else I can do
bo

Ask a Question