Form validation failure

I have several rather lengthy forms on my web site that require a lot of data
entered. I want to require the visitor to fill certain text boxes but what I
have noticed is that if they don't and then get the default validation
failure notice, the when they return to the form, all the inputed data is
gone - so they'll have to fill it out all over again.

Is there anyway to insure that when the vaildation failure page tells them
what they neglected to complete, they won't lose all the data that ws
correctly inputed? Thanks for your help.?

MikeR

Carl -
It sounds like the submit button on the data entry form(s) takes the user to a
confirmation page. You could also do some validation on the page itself, before it goes.
Right click a field, look at properties, then validate.

This on the confirmation will take you back 1 previous page, and the data should still be
there. Copy it into Notepad, then copy from there into the HTML view of your confirmation
page. For more info Google history.back

<FORM>
<INPUT type="button" value="Click here to go back" onClick="history.back()">
</FORM>

HTH
MikeR 1st

MikeR, thanks for your help. When the SUBMIT button is clicked, if required
Form Felds have not been filled, then it goes to a default "Validation
Failure Page" that lists the fields that need to be completed - (thus it
doesn't go to my custom Confimation Page unless all required fields are
filled).

So when the user returns to the FORM to complete the missing fields, all the
data previously entered is erased and he or she has to start all over again.
I would think that the default Validation Failure Page would have the HTML
you suggested. Are you saying that I need to make a custom Validation Failure
Page and include the HTML? It sounded like you said I should put it on the
Confirmation Page, which would only appear if all the required fields were
completed. Thanks again for any help you can give me. I'm still confused
about what to do.
CArl

Thomas A. Rowe

Don't use the a Validation Failure page, this way the user will be prompted to complete each failed
field prior to the form being submitted.

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

How do I not use it when there is a default Validation Failure Page that will
appear if a required Form Field is not completed?

I'm continuing to try to figure this out and getting nowhere. I am not able
to change anything in the default Validation Failure Page , and its Return to
Form link causes all the inputed data to be lost (when it returns).

I have tried creating my own Custom Validation Failure Page but I can not
get it to list the Form Fields that need to be competed.

I tried changing TOOLS<WEB SETTINGS<ADVANCED<CLIENT LIST< to "JavaScript
"instead of "None" so that the Form Rules wil be stored as a script inside
the Web pages instead of on the server so - as you suggested Thomas - the
visitor is informed of mssing Form Fields before the Submit button is clicked
- but I am unable to get that working either.

All I want is to have a Validation Failure Page that lists the missing Form
Fields and returns the visitor to the Form with his or her already-inputed
data in tact. How can I do this. Thanks for anyone's help who undestands and
can correct this problem.

Carl

Thanks for everyone's help. I figured out how to do what I wanted to do. Let
me iknow if you have the same problem and want to know how I fixed it. Thanks
again.

Hi Carl!

I am going through the same thing with the form validation, what did you
figure out? Thanks for your assistance!

Lacey

Lacey, I was able to create my own Validation Error Page that would list the
errors (that is, the fields not completed) when the user hit the Submit
button. I found the following info in a Frontpage Book at Border's. Here's
what it said (it worked well for me):

"You can create your own Validation Error Page which will give the same
bulleted list of validation errors that you see in the default Validation
Error Page. Select Insert<Web Components<Advanced Controls<Confirmation Field
and type Validation Error as name for Confirmation Field. The problem is that
what you really want to write is Validation-Error but it will be rejected
because of the hyphen. So after writing Validation Error, then switch to HTML
view and change Validation Error to exactly Validation-Error. (It is case
sensitive). Now what will happen is that when someone hits the Submit button
for your form, the Confirmation field will display the validation errors
list.

To complete my custom Validation Error Page, I instructed tthe user to hit
the <BACK> button to return to the Form without losing the data already
inputed. If you want to see how mine works, go to my web site at
http://serenityonlinetherapy.com/ and click on the questionnaire and hit the
submit button and see what happens. Good luck, Lacey!!!

Carl, I am having a similar problem with the "submit" button. I want a
custom page to show instead of the generic FrontPage "Thank You for
submitting the following". Do you know how I disable or change the FrontPage
automatic message page? I've searched Microsoft help and have two FrontPage
books and can't find the answer.

Sue

Sue, I solved this problem a long time ago. All I can do is repeat what I
wrote in the above thread which helped me solve the problem of a creating a
custom page and not losing the inputed data when the person returned to the
form after viewing validation errors. Here is what I wrote:

[...]

Padito

Can anyone help me out on this one using FP2003
I am trying to get the form on the Choice page to work on this web site.
I am lost with the instruction to do so - can someone give me a simple
answer as to how to achieve it http://www.untiemytv.com/
Thanks
Padito
"custom validation error page" <custom validation error

Stefan B Rusynko

1) the save results folder is incorrect, You have untiemytv\_private:\form_results.csv
and it should be _private\form_results.csv
2) make sure your hosts has enabled email transport

http://www.frontpagemvps.com/FrontPageNewsGroups/tabid/53/Default.aspx

| Can anyone help me out on this one using FP2003
| I am trying to get the form on the Choice page to work on this web site.
| I am lost with the instruction to do so - can someone give me a simple
| answer as to how to achieve it http://www.untiemytv.com/
| Thanks
| Padito
| "custom validation error page" <custom validation error
| (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
| | > Sue, I solved this problem a long time ago. All I can do is repeat what I
| > wrote in the above thread which helped me solve the problem of a creating
| > custom page and not losing the inputed data when the person returned to
| > the
| > form after viewing validation errors. Here is what I wrote:
| >
| > "I was able to create my own Validation Error Page that would list the
| > errors (that is, the fields not completed) when the user hit the Submit
| > button. I found the following info in a Frontpage Book at Border's. Here's
| > what it said (it worked well for me):
| >
| > "'You can create your own Validation Error Page which will give the same
| > bulleted list of validation errors that you see in the default Validation
| > Error Page. Select Insert<Web Components<Advanced Controls<Confirmation
| > Field
| > and type Validation Error as name for Confirmation Field. The problem is
| > that
| > what you really want to write is Validation-Error but it will be rejected
| > because of the hyphen. So after writing Validation Error, then switch to
| > HTML
| > view and change Validation Error to exactly Validation-Error. (It is case
| > sensitive). Now what will happen is that when someone hits the Submit
| > button
| > for your form, the Confirmation field will display the validation errors
| > list.'
| >
| > To complete my custom Validation Error Page, I instructed tthe user to hit
| > the <BACK> button to return to the Form without losing the data already
| > inputed. If you want to see how mine works, go to my web site at
| > http://serenityonlinetherapy.com/ and click on the questionnaire and hit
| > the
| > submit button and see what happens. Good luck"
| >

| > "ESSC" wrote:
| >
| >> Carl, I am having a similar problem with the "submit" button. I want a
| >> custom page to show instead of the generic FrontPage "Thank You for
| >> submitting the following". Do you know how I disable or change the
| >> FrontPage
| >> automatic message page? I've searched Microsoft help and have two
| >> FrontPage
| >> books and can't find the answer.
| >>
| >> Sue

marika

custom said:
Sue, I solved this problem a long time ago. All I can do is repeat what I
wrote in the above thread which helped me solve the problem of a creating a
custom page and not losing the inputed data when the person returned to the
form after viewing validation errors.

you are the microsoft.public.frontpage.client equivalent of terry
gross
You know that lady Terry Gross who does NPRs fresh air interview show

I like the interviewees. But her interview style is so annoying.

she repeats everything
She hesitates in between words, makes weird pauses, very unnatural
ones.

And today, while driving home, I realized that she pauses alot of her
sentences in the same place that William Shatner does

So I decided that this is really William Shatner, the intellectual side
of him

But he figured the only way he could get to do this highbrow show is if
no one recognized him

So he comes in to the studio dressed like a woman and has his voice
electronically altered.

Considering the limited production schedule of Fresh Air he would
still have plenty of time to make Price Line commercials and also
appear in the occasional Enterprise sequel

mk5000

"I don't buy the designed to be blurry, but that is just my opinion, so
whatever, but again, in a subjective competition, how do you make it
non-blurry?"--Mitch Mather