Form Results going to a Database and sending an email?

M

Mr B

Howdy,

I have a form I've been using and up until now I've had it set to send an email and update a file.
It works just fine.

However, we just moved out site to somewhere that supports FP and ASP so I want to try out the
database stuff.

WHat I want to happen is after the person fills out the form and submits their info, I want it to
get added to a database and then to send an email to a certaine mail address. That email could
either just be a generic "Someone has entered data" email or could actually contain the data from
the form. Either way would be fine.

I don't have much experience with the DRW yet but in addition to the email question, my other
question is basically what do I need to do in what order to make it work? DO I create a dummy DB in
Access on my own ad have it contain the right field namds and then dump it into my web? Or will FP
create the DB form me using the fields in the form?

If I have to create the database, how difficult is it if I need to add a field to the form when it's
not a field in the database?

Just looking for general direction so I can at least start heading in the right direction when I
start playing. :)

Thanks.

M

Mr B

OK Well, I got the basic part set up and working OK. Submitting the form goes to the database and
everythign works.

So now the questions i'm left with are:

1) How can I have it add data to the database and then shoot off an email that there's been an
update?

2) What happens if I change the form (delete a field or add a field) with regards to the database
and how it's set up? I had FP create the DB so will it update it automatically?

3) If I want the Results Page from the DAtabase to be password protected, can I do that without
putting that one page in it's own subweb? I've never used passwords before. This could either be
asking for the logion/password for the admin accoutn on the server, or could be a global password I
could set up and distribute to who needs it. Either way works fine.

Thanks!!

T

Thomas A. Rowe

#1 You will have write custom ASP code to process the email against a ASP
Mail Component (need to check with host to see which one they are running)
and then do the database update.

#2 If you change the form, then you should have a option of form properties
| options to update the database.

#3 You would have write or locate ASP coding to handle password protection
which can be as simple as adding a login script directly to the page.

--

==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.
==============================================

M

Mr B

#1 You will have write custom ASP code to process the email against a ASP
Mail Component (need to check with host to see which one they are running)
and then do the database update.

Site is hosted with RoadRunner Business setup. Happen to know what they use? I'll call them in the
morning.
#2 If you change the form, then you should have a option of form properties
| options to update the database.

Ah, wasn't sure what exactly that option did but I clicked it and it did something so we'll see what
happens
#3 You would have write or locate ASP coding to handle password protection
which can be as simple as adding a login script directly to the page.

Working on this one. I don't want a login that even has a username, just a certain word that you
have to type in before you can load the page. I'm sure I'll get some assistance on this too.

Thanks.

Ask a Question