Force numeric entry mode

chris-s

We've just taken delivery of a new HP IPaq device for evaluation with
our application. This device has what would best be described as a
'phone keypad'. It has the unfortunate effect of defaulting to 'T9'
entry mode, which is a pita when entering numeric data into a text box
control, worse still, everytime you focus on a different text box the
entry mode seems to default back to T9.

I guess various courses of action are available..

1) add a keypress event and reject non-numeric characters - not really
suitable, makes for messy entry requiring the user to press a key four
times to get a numeic digit.

2) add a keypress event that will re-map the alpha chars to
corresponding numeric char - reasonable but there must be a better way

3) use the "InputModeEditor.SetInputMode(textBox1,
InputMode.Numeric);" method - have tried this in dotnet 2 & 3.5 and it
doesn't have the desired effect.

So, any other ideas?

Chris

Christian Resma Helle

What platform is the device? SetInputMode is only for the Smartphone. For
Pocket PC i just handle the KeyPress event. You can also just create a
NumericTextBox custom control based on the TextBox where you take care of
the KeyPress

chris-s

What platform is the device? SetInputMode is only for the Smartphone. For
Pocket PC i just handle the KeyPress event. You can also just create a
NumericTextBox custom control based on the TextBox where you take care of
the KeyPress

Christian Hellehttp://christian-helle.blogspot.com

Well that explains why that doesn't work then, it's WM5 device.

Looks like I'm back to a keypress type event.

Thanks guys.