folder associations

liquidstool

hello

i'm using vista 64bit. Some of my file associations seem to have
disappeared and i am being told to reset them in the control panel - that bit
is easy enough but i'm having trouble setting them for actual folders, i
can't open the folder just by clicking on it, i have to right click and then
select open. i have spent hours trying to find a way to set the association
for the folder but no luck - i dont know if this makes any difference but the
folder i am trying to open, i marked as hidden. once i openiit with the
right click everything else seems to be ok.

Can someone please tell me how to set the association for the FOLDER?

thankyou

liquidstool

thanks walnut, however after downloading and writing the file to the registry
i still have the same problem:(

Any further help appreciated!

Ramesh, MS-MVP

When you right-click on a folder what is the default action? The default action is shown in bold letters.

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

thanks walnut, however after downloading and writing the file to the registry
i still have the same problem:(

Any further help appreciated!

liquidstool

hey,

i'm getting "ENQUE IN BS PLAYER"

That's a free media player that i uninstalled months ago cos it was infested
with spyware. However, the associations problem has only appearred in the
last week or two - could they be connected?

Ramesh said:
When you right-click on a folder what is the default action? The default action is shown in bold letters.

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

thanks walnut, however after downloading and writing the file to the registry
i still have the same problem:(

Any further help appreciated!

BurrWalnut said:

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Removing the BSPlayer entry should do the trick.

Manage the context-menu entries for files, folders, drives and Namespace objects:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Or you may ask this in BS.Player: :: Forums:
http://www.bsplayer.org/forum/index.php?sid=7de3d9220d1ed7caf85169a6b3ba1dda&BSPLAYER=2

Ramesh said:
When you right-click on a folder what is the default action? The default action is shown in bold letters.

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

thanks walnut, however after downloading and writing the file to the registry
i still have the same problem:(

Any further help appreciated!

BurrWalnut said:

liquidstool

hey Ramesh

i've gone thru the registry with JV16 power tools and removed all traces of
BSplayer and yet is still appears in the context menu. Frankly i'm at a loss
as to what to do now, i'm not happy about fiddling with the registry
manually. Can you offer further help?

thanks

Liquid

Ramesh said:
When you right-click on a folder what is the default action? The default action is shown in bold letters.

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

thanks walnut, however after downloading and writing the file to the registry
i still have the same problem:(

Any further help appreciated!

BurrWalnut said:
Click on Folder, here
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html

:

Ramesh said:
[...]

i've followed the advice you given, downloaded the shellex thing, i haven't
a clue how to use it and followed the other links but i'm not confident
enough to mess around with the registry and i still get that damned bsplayer
in the context menu - ive removed every last tace i can find, including the
spyware it's bundled with and something called webteh i found lurking. all i
wanna do is be able to click on a picture folder and have it open up instead
of the "set associations" garbage popping up :(

thanks for your help but i think i my find it easier to format and reinstall
vista unless you can give further guidance!

thankyou

Ramesh said:
[...]

hey Bob

i ran the SFC and got this result: "Windows Resource Protection did not
find any integrity violations"

I also read the exhaustive post on registry cleaners - needless to say i
shall not use it again. However, ny original problem remains and i've just
noticed that i get the same problem if i try to click on "my pictures" - i
have to go thru my computer, my documents, my pictures. What the smeg is
going on here and can i fix it? I don't really want to have to install
windows again particularly as i've heard the stories about you can only
activate windows a few times - even though i have original disc etc

Anymore ideas?

thanks

Liquid
Bob said:
Run sfc /scannow.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Your problem was likely **caused** by JV16 power tools.

DO NOT use registry cleaners! See this:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Ramesh said:
[...]

Hi liquidstool,

Open ShellExView, click View and select "HTML Report - All items". Save the report to a .html file and upload using a free hosting service. Or, send it to me via mail.

Ramesh said:
ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Or you may ask this in BS.Player: :: Forums:
http://www.bsplayer.org/forum/index.php?sid=7de3d9220d1ed7caf85169a6b3ba1dda&BSPLAYER=2

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

"liquidstool" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...

liquidstool

Hi Ramesh

Thanks for your continued help with my problem.

I have created the shellexview reor and uploaded it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?djejue4jzze

Hope you find it useful!

You can contact me direct using my email: liquidstool AT hotmail.co.uk

thankyou

Liquid

Ramesh said:
ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Or you may ask this in BS.Player: :: Forums:
http://www.bsplayer.org/forum/index.php?sid=7de3d9220d1ed7caf85169a6b3ba1dda&BSPLAYER=2

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

"liquidstool" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Liquid,

I've checked the report and it appears to me that the BS Player entry may have been implemented as a static command instead of a shell extension.

Click Start, type Regedit.exe and press ENTER
Go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder

From the Edit menu, choose Export and save the branch to file or type ..REG

Export this key as well:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory

Exit the Registry Editor.

Also, let me know if you're seeing the "BS Player" context menu item when right-clicking *all* directories, or only for folders contain music content?

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

Hi Ramesh

Thanks for your continued help with my problem.

I have created the shellexview reor and uploaded it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?djejue4jzze

Hope you find it useful!

You can contact me direct using my email: liquidstool AT hotmail.co.uk

thankyou

Liquid
:

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Note: After exporting the reg files, compress (zip) them and upload it to a free host and post the link here.

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

Hi Liquid,

I've checked the report and it appears to me that the BS Player entry may have been implemented as a static command instead of a shell extension.

Click Start, type Regedit.exe and press ENTER
Go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder

From the Edit menu, choose Export and save the branch to file or type ..REG

Export this key as well:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory

Exit the Registry Editor.

Also, let me know if you're seeing the "BS Player" context menu item when right-clicking *all* directories, or only for folders contain music content?

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

Hi Ramesh

Thanks for your continued help with my problem.

I have created the shellexview reor and uploaded it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?djejue4jzze

Hope you find it useful!

You can contact me direct using my email: liquidstool AT hotmail.co.uk

thankyou

Liquid
:

liquidstool

Hi Ramesh,

Ive followed your instructions (correctly i believe) - i exported them as
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - Folder.Reg and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - Directory.reg and have
saved them in my documents (i don't know what i'm meant to do with them)

I closed down regedit, and checked the folders, i still get the set
associations error regardless of whether i try to open picture folder, music
folder or video folder or even applications. Also, when right clicking, i
still get ENQUE IN BS PLAYER as default.

Look forward to your reply, and sorry about the headache i've no doubt given
you!!

Liquid

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Liquid,

Pls post the contents of the two .reg files. Or you may zip them and upload to web.

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

Hi Ramesh,

Ive followed your instructions (correctly i believe) - i exported them as
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - Folder.Reg and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - Directory.reg and have
saved them in my documents (i don't know what i'm meant to do with them)

I closed down regedit, and checked the folders, i still get the set
associations error regardless of whether i try to open picture folder, music
folder or video folder or even applications. Also, when right clicking, i
still get ENQUE IN BS PLAYER as default.

Look forward to your reply, and sorry about the headache i've no doubt given
you!!

Liquid

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Open an elevated Command Prompt. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

Type the following commands in the Command Prompt window:

REG DELETE "HKCR\Directory\shell\BSP.Enqueue" /f

Then type:

REG DELETE "HKCR\Directory\shell\BSP.Open" /f

Type EXIT to close the Command Prompt window.

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

Evening Ramesh,

Files can be found here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2ihx3jf1cqd

http://www.mediafire.com/?hte1mn61kjy

Good Luck!

Liquid

liquidstool

Hey Ramesh,

Just to let you know that you have fixed my problem - a 1000 thank yous! :)

One other thing i noticed though, the option to create a new folder when
right clicking seems to have disappeared :-(

Thanks again,

Liquid

Ramesh said:
Note: After exporting the reg files, compress (zip) them and upload it to a free host and post the link here.

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

Hi Liquid,

I've checked the report and it appears to me that the BS Player entry may have been implemented as a static command instead of a shell extension.

Click Start, type Regedit.exe and press ENTER
Go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder

From the Edit menu, choose Export and save the branch to file or type ...REG