Floppy's Missing Pics

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I didn't want to interrupt Floppy's "Bob and Karen" thread with a question, but please does anyone have any idea why I only ever see blank spaces where pics posted by Flops should be? I have never been able to view one yet, in any of his threads :wall: no matter which PC I use here, so just wondered if there is some tweak or other that would do the trick :blush:

I can usually see everyone else's pics ok :nod: here and elsewhere on the Net, whatever it is just seems to be peculiar to Flops :D (was it something I said? :lol: )

Specs:
Rock QuaddraXT, XP Pro, SP2, P4, 2.66GHz 2.67GHz, 512Mb RAM
Fujitsu Siemens XP Home, SP2, Celeron M, 1.60GHz 1.59GHz, 512MB RAM (the cruncher)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats strange - if you copy the URL of the pics and paste it directly into the IE toolbar do they appear then? If not, what sort of error does it give (if any) :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Ian, whether I use IE or Firefox (default) I just see the webpage background and text - there is not even a "placeholder" (I mean one of those little coloured squares that one sometimes sees when a pic doesn't appear). The written text is there, of course, but there isn't any sign of a URL so cannot paste it. There is never an error message either, just blank areas - let's see if I can insert a screen print here... heck, where's it gone.....:eek: :lol: Well either it will appear when I hit the "submit" button, or else it has gone walkabout :blush: ... maybe joined the missing pics :rolleyes: I have also just realized that I've posted this in General Discussion so again, my apologies - the lights are on, but no-one's at home again!! :D

Attachments

• Floppy's Missing Pics.JPG
    Floppy's Missing Pics.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 132
Reaction score
RE:Thats strange

If What Ian Suggests Is True It May Be That Your Add/remove Programs May Not Be Working Also!?you May Be Missing A Few Files.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
No Jim, there isn't a problem with add/remove programmes in either of the PCs. It really only seems to be a little problem that happens in here for some reason..... and only with Flops' pics as I mentioned - most odd though. Maybe the thumbnail will help Ian, when he has a free moment. Thanks for the suggestion Jim. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try copying the link below and copying it directly into IE:

http://www.bitbenderforums.com/users/floppybootstomp/bobandkaren/002.jpg

Then can you try clicking it directly and let me know what happens both times. Sometimes sites can block images based on refferers, so we can narrow that out with this test. I don't think that is happening here as other can see it ok, but it's worth a test.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you what the "problem" may be in Firefox ... are you using Adblock add on ?

... and here is a probable reason for IE not displaying the pics ... that is ... Clear temporary Internet files.

To clear temporary Internet files, follow these steps:

a. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
b. On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet files.
c. Select the Delete all offline content check box, and then click OK.
d. Click OK to close the Internet Options window.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807

Now, lets get a bit more technical :D

The 'coding for this site, Ian may look at changing it maybe not, the coding is set to Western European ISO and IE may be using Western European Windows and Autoselect is unticked/ticked in your browser.

However, the leading question is ... do you have the same problem on any other site you visit ?

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have done exactly as Ian suggested - the results were:

Copying the link directly into IE produced a "Web Page Cannot be Displayed" page - several times.
When I clicked the link directly - same result.

In Firefox, it just kept timing out.

I also carried out Mucks' instructions and carried out the tests again - but with the same results.

The encoding settings in IE were already ticked for Western European ISO (did I understand correctly that it should be left on that setting?)

I haven't noticed problems on other sites, but I don't spend much time on other Forums - other than if I land on one when browsing generally. For some reason, I cannot even access Bitbender Homepage though.

Thank you for looking at this gentlemen :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like BitBender may have blocked your IP range (perhaps some spammers use the same ISP) or there is a temporary problem with your route to their servers.

You can try running "cmd" from the run menu and then type "tracert bitbenderforums.com" and hit enter. It should show you how your PC tries to find it's way to their site and where it fails.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
hmmm, interesting ... I think Ian may be on the right track, for now.

The encoding settings in IE were already ticked for Western European ISO (did I understand correctly that it should be left on that setting?)
Yes, leave that alone, do not alter. :thumb:

Follow Ian's instructions, lets see what transpires ... :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wow! Not done that before - it was interesting. Have printed the screen again, hope you can see it ok.

[attachment now remove to protect the innocent ... mucks]

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I can't see the pics in the "bob and Karen" thread either .Checked his for sale threads and can not see pics there either . :confused: I used to be able to see his pics .:confused:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I thought I remembered seeing a post from someone who couldn't see them either, but I couldn't remember who it was, lol, at least I'm in good company AB :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If it's common to both Firefox & IE, then I think Ian is definitely on the right path.

Can't do it now but I'll make a note of Taffycat's URL and ask Grogan or Bits whether it's in a banned range.

Quite a few have been blocked, we've been suffering heavily from spammers over there recently.

Talking of which, I just banned one here, five mins ago, the pillock :D

If all else fails, I'll host the pix on my own ISP's web space.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That is very kind of you Floppy, much appreciated, and I'm also grateful for Ian and Mucks' time and help too :nod: must admit that it would be interesting to know what has been causing the problem. Thank you Gentlemen :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
From that tracert you posted it looks like it is an IP ban, I wouldn't take it personally though as it is probably someone else in the same IP range :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
From that tracert you posted it looks like it is an IP ban, I wouldn't take it personally though as it is probably someone else in the same IP range :thumb:

Actually Ian, that could make sense, because I'm on the ISP's "Business" tariff (we don't have a business - it is just that it permitted greater usage in terms of hours spent on-line.) I would imagine that others could be plugging their businesses though, so hence the ban perhaps.

Thank you for checking out the tracert, I appreciate it. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have checked with BBF, neither Taffycat's nor Abarbaian's IP's are amongst the blocked addresses, so it's something of a mystery.

Sometimes, sites just can't be reached, did either of you try the tracert route?

This link goes to a thread where the pix are hosted on my own ISP's webspace, can any of you see those pix?

Oakley House Farm

Right, gotta dash out again now - laters :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Have checked with BBF, neither Taffycat's nor Abarbaian's IP's are amongst the blocked addresses, so it's something of a mystery.

Sometimes, sites just can't be reached, did either of you try the tracert route?

This link goes to a thread where the pix are hosted on my own ISP's webspace, can any of you see those pix?

Oakley House Farm

Right, gotta dash out again now - laters :)

Me too Flopps - I was able to see your pics just fine following your link (enjoyed them too.)

When you ask if we tried the tracert route....apart from posting that earlier screen pic of it, I don't know how to otherwise try it :blush: sorry, I'm guessing that it is probably really simple to do... but I think I need a hint please ;)

Good news about not being blocked though :thumb: thank you for taking the trouble to find out :nod:

Ask a Question