Floppy disk(s) fail (40) - error message on start up

Reaction score
HI, I have recently installed a second hard drive into my pc. However, since then everytime I boot up I get the above error messgae. The hard drive is listed on the bios, I have replaced the floppy ribbon cable and even replaced the floppy drive but still the same. I can't format the new hard drive until I can get the floppy working! Can anyone help me please?

Reaction score
Ok you need to let us know what operating sytem you have

We cant see your screen from here you see ;)

Reaction score
OK

Got control panel/administrative tools/computer management/

On the left under the heading 'Storage' you will see disk management

See if the drive is there

If it is you may need to partition and format it. Have a look let us know

Hmm actually im not sure if Home has that option, does it?

Reaction score
If all you need to do is format to the HDD? XP Home
nod.gif

• go to START click, scroll up to SETTINGS.
  • Now enter CONTROL PANEL click.
  • In control panel choose ADMINISTRATVE TOOLS double click to open.
  • Now choose COMPUTER MANAGEMENT double click to open.
  • When the window opens you will see on the left hand side DISK MANAGEMENT double click to open.
  • You will now see your HDD`s C=D=E= or similar.
  • Choose the drive you need to FORMAT you cannot format the HDD that is needed IE the operating system as it is in use.
  • Make sure you have chosen the correct HDD to format.
  • Now RIGHT click where it says C=D=E= or whatever a box will open
  • Choose FORMAT and run it you have a choice long or quick FORMAT make your choice.
  • When you have finished CLOSE all open windows, shut the PC down and you have a nice clean HARD DRIVE,
  • Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
having not done this myself or even knowing if its possible, have you've connected the HD to the floppy drive controller by accident ?

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
having not done this myself or even knowing if its possible, have you've connected the HD to the floppy drive controller by accident ?

Umm I was thinking that?? another thing is the light on the floppy on, constant?

Reaction score
Beat ya to it itsme :p

LOL connected it to Floppy drive bay?

Nah maybe at one end using a floppy cable but certainly not with a IDE cable

PMSL

Could be nasty!!!! Someone doesnt read manuals tututut ;)

PS you dont need to have a floppy drive working to format a hard drive

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Haven't seen that error message in a long time ...

OK,
The main contender is the ribbon cable ... are you using the one that came with the MB, not all cables are equal ... do you have the cable the right way around?

The end with the twist must connect to the drive itself, there is also a red line down the cable indicating pin one ... look at the end of the drive and you will see where pin 1 is ... same at MB end.

It don't matter what OS you are using this is a BIOS error ... you do not really need the floppy drive to install XP so, go into the BIOS and "disable" drive A & B if nothing works.

:)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
Not possible ... the cables are different widths. ;)

Mind you, I have never tried to 'fit' them that way. :D

Reaction score
The new hard drive is connected correctly (it's slave to my original hard drive) Triplex is correct, the cable for the HDD won't fit to the floppy interface anyway. The light to the floppy is not on at all. According to the instructions I've got I need to perform FDISK on my new HDD before formatting it and that needs to be run

Reaction score
The new hard drive is connected correctly (it's slave to my original hard drive) Triplex is correct, the cable for the HDD won't fit to the floppy interface anyway. The light to the floppy is not on at all. According to the instructions I've got I need to perform FDISK on my new HDD before formatting it and that needs to be run by booting into DOS from floppy. Which I can't do!!! ARrrrgggghh!

Reaction score
M8 forget the instructions just do as we have informed you

Follow up again on my answer or itsme

Trust us

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!!! I have now got my new HDD formatted & working! Still don't know what's wrong with the floppy but can't remember the last time I needed it before this task anyway! Cheers!

Reaction score
YVW

The only time you need a floppy drive nowaday is if your using ME, 98 or 98se

Or transfering small files, even then i recommend a USB memory stick

Have fun ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
the instructions I've got I need to perform FDISK on my new HDD before formatting...
BAD INSTRUCTIONS

You do NOT use FDISK on XP ... Glad you are sorted. :thumb:

user.gif

Ask a Question