Fix: Error connecting to existing session

Ian

I thought I'd post this for the record as I've had this issue for a
while and noticed that a number of others also have, but no-one ever
posted a solution.

I've recently had a new HP computer at work and after I'd got all of
my applications ported across from my old machine to the new one and
enabled remote desktop I started to have problems connecting to an
existing session. This occurred regardless of whether the original
login session was created from the console or remotely, and it
happened for all accounts on the machine that had remote logins
enabled.

The error message I was getting was

Logon Connect Failed

Error connecting to existing session for XXX (Id n)
The Specified session cannot be found.
A new session will be created.

No new session was ever created and the only course of action was to
login under an alternative admin account and kill the initial session
(this had an obvious down-side in that any unsaved work was lost).

After a couple of calls to the HP product support number here in the
UK they eventually came up with a simple solution that worked for me.
The solution was simply to create a new user with full admin rights,
login as that user. Then login as that user again via remote desktop.
At this point I was then able to disconnect and reconnect. This seems
to also have fixed the problem with all of the other accounts at the
same time.

I've no idea why it fixed it or indeed what had broken in the first
place. However the fact it was fixed was good enough for me.

I just hope that this post helps someone else out in the future.

Regards
Ian

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

Was your other account a member of the administrator group?

(e-mail address removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

Ian

Jeffrey Randow (MVP) said:
Was your other account a member of the administrator group?

No. Being a software developer I like to develop and test the
applications that I write under normal user conditions. You'd be
surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) at the number of issues that can be
covered up when running with administrator privs.

XP wanted me to create at least one Admin level account which I did,
before I created my day-to-day account as a limited account. I did
however make it a member of the Remote Desktop Users group. But even
when I later added my day-to-day account to the administrators group
for a short time, it didn't make any difference.

However I didn't see this issue actually being restricted to just a
single account on the machine, since I also had the exact same problem
when using the built-in administrators account.

We actually had 4 identical spec machines delivered from HP at the
same time, and none of these other machines have had any problems with
remote desktop. The only thing I can think of that I may have done
that the others didn't was I tried to use the "Files and Settings
Transfer Wizard". I'd never used it before and in the end I gave up
without (as far as I know) actually importing anything from my old
machine. I don't know if that wizard could have messed something up.

Ian

Bill Sanderson

What was it you were attempting to import from?

In some cases of Windows 2000 to xp pro upgrades, policy settings interfere
with RD functionality. Were you importing from a Windows 2000 machine?
I've no idea whether the Terminal Services policies would be part of a files
and settings transfer or not.

Ian

Bill Sanderson said:
What was it you were attempting to import from?

It was from another XP Pro system that was clean installed when XP
went gold way back whenever.

Like i said before, I gave up at some point before the wizard told me
the job was complete. I'm not sure if any changes had been made to my
new system at the point I stopped though.

STOPPRESS: I just got the "session not found" error again tonight, so
either something is running thats breaking the thing, or the new user
fix didn't really fix it completely. [Yes I do have the latest AV
updates, etc.]

The "new user" thing seems to have cured it again for now, but I'm
starting to wonder if it might be something to do with ACPI, since out
of the box the machines power settings were configured to go into
standby fairly rapidly. I initially had trouble with getting booted
off my remote desktop sessions during lunch because the machine had
powered-down and therefore kicked me off.

If this keeps happening too often, I guess I'll end up rebuilding the
thing.

Bill Sanderson

Forget the FAST thing--seems clearly irrelevant!

Power settings can definitely break RD.

Set the host machine never to suspend.

Some (it seems a good many) nic drivers don't recover properly from some
power-down situations.

I don't see how this fits your problem description, however--
i.e. I don't see how this would be a fix for the symptoms as described, I'm
afraid.

I'm tempted by the rebuild idea myself.....

Bill Sanderson said:
I'm tempted by the rebuild idea myself.....

I think I may have tracked down a possible cause. At work all of the
developers in our dev team have two LCD monitors connected to HP
nVidia Quadro NVS graphics cards. I was the only one running with the
nView desktop manager extensions enabled. I disabled nView the other
day, and since then I've not had a reoccurrence of this problem.

If it doesn't fix it, I'll rebuild the system. I'll post an update at
the end of March to let you know which way I had to go.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

Ian

Ian said:
Bill Sanderson said:
[...]

On 11 Mar 2004 14:02:00 -0800, (e-mail address removed) (Ian) wrote:

[...]

That could be it as the nview program probably hooks into the graphics
subsystem... Hopefully it will keep working... :)

Ian said:
[...]

That sounds very good--hope it holds up.

This is something that it'd be nice to be able to document and get fixed--so
if you find that experientially this makes it go away, it'd be nice if you
could document your hardware and driver setup with a view towards creating a
scenario that Microsoft could duplicate to replicate the bug.

Ian said:
[...]

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

Windows XP Expert Zone -

Bill Sanderson said:
That sounds very good--hope it holds up.

Unfortunately not, as this problem still occurs. It would seem that
remote desktop if fine until a console login is performed. After that
point remote desktop is then broken until I use the "create new user"
workaround.

I'll rebuild the system in a few weeks when I have some spare time.

This is something that it'd be nice to be able to document and get fixed--so
if you find that experientially this makes it go away, it'd be nice if you
could document your hardware and driver setup with a view towards creating a
scenario that Microsoft could duplicate to replicate the bug.

Yup, I'd agree. To this end I've attached below some of the output
from sysinfo, so apologies in advance for the long post. I've done my
best to remove most of the dross to leave just the important stuff.
The text is in CSV format, so should import quite easily into
something like Excel however some of the longer lines may wrap.

----- Start of CSV data -----
System Information report written at: 04/05/04 21:16:05,
System Name: XXXXXXXXX,
[System Summary],

Item,Value
OS Name,Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version,5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer,Microsoft Corporation
Activation Status,Activation Pending (30 days remaining)
System Name,XXXXXXXXX
System Manufacturer,Hewlett-Packard
System Model,HP d530 SFF(DF363A)
System Type,X86-based PC
Processor,x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2593 Mhz
Processor,x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2593 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date,"Hewlett-Packard 786B2 v1.11, 10/07/2003"
SMBIOS Version,2.3
Windows Directory,C:\WINDOWS
System Directory,C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device,\Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale,United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer,"Version = ""5.1.2600.1106
(xpsp1.020828-1920)"""
User Name,XXXXXXXXX\Ian
Time Zone,GMT Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory,"1,280.50 MB"
Available Physical Memory,912.20 MB
Total Virtual Memory,4.22 GB
Available Virtual Memory,3.65 GB
Page File Space,2.97 GB
Page File,C:\pagefile.sys

[Hardware Resources],

[Conflicts/Sharing],

Resource,Device
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7,PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7,Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF,Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to AGP
Controller - 2571
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF,NVIDIA Quadro NVS

Memory Address 0xFD000000-0xFE1FFFFF,Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to
AGP Controller - 2571
Memory Address 0xFD000000-0xFE1FFFFF,NVIDIA Quadro NVS

IRQ 18,NVIDIA Quadro NVS
IRQ 18,Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
IRQ 18,Intel(r) 82801EB Serial Ultra ATA Storage Controller-24D1

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF,PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF,Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to AGP
Controller - 2571
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF,NVIDIA Quadro NVS

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB,Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to AGP
Controller - 2571
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB,NVIDIA Quadro NVS

Memory Address 0xF8000000-0xFC2FFFFF,Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to
AGP Controller - 2571
Memory Address 0xF8000000-0xFC2FFFFF,NVIDIA Quadro NVS

[I/O],

Resource,Device,Status
0x00000000-0x00000CF7,PCI bus,OK
0x00000000-0x00000CF7,Direct memory access controller,OK
0x00000D00-0x0000FFFF,PCI bus,OK
0x000003B0-0x000003BB,Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to AGP Controller
- 2571,OK
0x000003B0-0x000003BB,NVIDIA Quadro NVS,OK
0x000003C0-0x000003DF,Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to AGP Controller
- 2571,OK
0x000003C0-0x000003DF,NVIDIA Quadro NVS,OK
0x00001440-0x0000145F,Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller -
24D2,OK
0x00001460-0x0000147F,Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller -
24D4,OK
0x00001480-0x0000149F,Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller -
24D7,OK
0x00000A79-0x00000A79,ISAPNP Read Data Port,OK
0x00000279-0x00000279,ISAPNP Read Data Port,OK
0x00000274-0x00000277,ISAPNP Read Data Port,OK
0x000000F0-0x000000FF,Numeric data processor,OK
0x00000020-0x0000002F,Programmable interrupt controller,OK
0x00000030-0x0000003F,Programmable interrupt controller,OK
0x000000A0-0x000000BF,Programmable interrupt controller,OK
0x00000040-0x00000043,System timer,OK
0x00000080-0x0000008F,Direct memory access controller,OK
0x000000C0-0x000000DF,Direct memory access controller,OK
0x00000070-0x00000071,System CMOS/real time clock,OK
0x00000061-0x00000061,System speaker,OK
0x00000060-0x00000060,Compaq Easy Access PS2 Internet Keyboard,OK
0x00000064-0x00000064,Compaq Easy Access PS2 Internet Keyboard,OK
0x00000378-0x0000037F,ECP Printer Port (LPT1),OK
0x00000778-0x0000077D,ECP Printer Port (LPT1),OK
0x000003F8-0x000003FF,Communications Port (COM1),OK
0x000003F0-0x000003F5,Standard floppy disk controller,OK
0x000003F7-0x000003F7,Standard floppy disk controller,OK
0x000014C0-0x000014CF,Intel(r) 82801EB Parallel Ultra ATA Storage
Controller-24DB,OK
0x000001F0-0x000001F7,Primary IDE Channel,OK
0x000003F6-0x000003F6,Primary IDE Channel,OK
0x00000170-0x00000177,Secondary IDE Channel,OK
0x00000376-0x00000376,Secondary IDE Channel,OK
0x000014F0-0x000014F7,Intel(r) 82801EB Serial Ultra ATA Storage
Controller-24D1,OK
0x00001808-0x0000180B,Intel(r) 82801EB Serial Ultra ATA Storage
Controller-24D1,OK
0x000014F8-0x000014FF,Intel(r) 82801EB Serial Ultra ATA Storage
Controller-24D1,OK
0x0000180C-0x0000180F,Intel(r) 82801EB Serial Ultra ATA Storage
Controller-24D1,OK
0x000014D0-0x000014DF,Intel(r) 82801EB Serial Ultra ATA Storage
Controller-24D1,OK
0x00001000-0x000010FF,SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio,OK
0x00001400-0x0000143F,SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio,OK
0x00000010-0x0000001F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x00000050-0x00000053,Motherboard resources,OK
0x00000072-0x00000077,Motherboard resources,OK
0x00000090-0x0000009F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x000004D0-0x000004D1,Motherboard resources,OK
0x00000400-0x0000041F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x00000420-0x0000043F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x00000440-0x0000045F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x00000460-0x0000047F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x0000F800-0x0000F81F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x0000F820-0x0000F83F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x0000F840-0x0000F85F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x0000F860-0x0000F87F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x0000FA00-0x0000FA3F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x0000FC00-0x0000FC7F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x0000FC80-0x0000FCFF,Motherboard resources,OK
0x0000FE00-0x0000FE7F,Motherboard resources,OK
0x0000FE80-0x0000FEFF,Motherboard resources,OK

[IRQs],,

Resource,Device,Status
IRQ 9,Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System,OK
IRQ 18,NVIDIA Quadro NVS,OK
IRQ 18,Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7,OK
IRQ 18,Intel(r) 82801EB Serial Ultra ATA Storage Controller-24D1,OK
IRQ 16,Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2,OK
IRQ 19,Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4,OK
IRQ 23,Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller,OK
IRQ 20,Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet for hp,OK
IRQ 13,Numeric data processor,OK
IRQ 0,System timer,OK
IRQ 8,System CMOS/real time clock,OK
IRQ 12,PS/2 Compatible Mouse,OK
IRQ 1,Compaq Easy Access PS2 Internet Keyboard,OK
IRQ 4,Communications Port (COM1),OK
IRQ 6,Standard floppy disk controller,OK
IRQ 14,Primary IDE Channel,OK
IRQ 15,Secondary IDE Channel,OK
IRQ 17,SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio,OK

[Memory],,

Resource,Device,Status
0xA0000-0xBFFFF,PCI bus,OK
0xA0000-0xBFFFF,Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to AGP Controller -
2571,OK
0xA0000-0xBFFFF,NVIDIA Quadro NVS,OK
0x50100000-0xFEBFFFFF,PCI bus,OK
0xFD000000-0xFE1FFFFF,Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to AGP Controller
- 2571,OK
0xFD000000-0xFE1FFFFF,NVIDIA Quadro NVS,OK
0xF8000000-0xFC2FFFFF,Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to AGP Controller
- 2571,OK
0xF8000000-0xFC2FFFFF,NVIDIA Quadro NVS,OK
0xF4000000-0xF7FFFFFF,Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to AGP Controller
- 2571,OK
0xFC200000-0xFC27FFFF,NVIDIA Quadro NVS,OK
0xFC800000-0xFC8003FF,Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller,OK
0xFC300000-0xFC30FFFF,Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet for hp,OK
0xFEC00000-0xFEC00FFF,Advanced programmable interrupt controller,OK
0xFEBFFC00-0xFEBFFFFF,Intel(r) 82801EB Parallel Ultra ATA Storage
Controller-24DB,OK
0xFC800400-0xFC8005FF,SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio,OK
0xFC800600-0xFC8006FF,SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio,OK
0x0000-0x9FFFF,System board,OK
0x100000-0x4FFFFFFF,System board,OK
0x50000000-0x500FFFFF,System board,OK
0xE0000-0xFFFFF,System board,OK
0xFEC01000-0xFFFFFFFF,System board,OK
0xD1800-0xDFFFF,System board,OK

[Display],,

Item,Value
Name,NVIDIA Quadro NVS
PNP Device ID,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_017A&SUBSYS_015D10DE&REV_A3\4&56EB5F&0&0008
Adapter Type,"Quadro NVS, NVIDIA compatible"
Adapter Description,NVIDIA Quadro NVS
Adapter RAM,"64.00 MB (67,108,864 bytes)"
Installed Drivers,nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version,Not Available
INF File,oem32.inf (nv4_WSApps_DualView section)
Color Planes,1
Color Table Entries,4294967296
Resolution,1024 x 768 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel,32
Memory Address,0xFD000000-0xFE1FFFFF
Memory Address,0xF8000000-0xFC2FFFFF
Memory Address,0xFC200000-0xFC27FFFF
IRQ Channel,IRQ 18
I/O Port,0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port,0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address,0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver,"c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys (6.14.10.5216, 1.48
MB (1,550,043 bytes), 06/10/2003 15:16)"

[System Drivers] -- only those in the Started state,

Description,Type
Microsoft ACPI Driver,Kernel Driver
aeaudio,Kernel Driver
AFD Networking Support Environment,Kernel Driver
Intel AGP Bus Filter,Kernel Driver
Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller,Kernel Driver
Audio Stub Driver,Kernel Driver
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet,Kernel Driver
Beep,Kernel Driver
Cdfs,File System Driver
CD-ROM Driver,Kernel Driver
Disk Driver,Kernel Driver
Logical Disk Manager Driver,Kernel Driver
dmload,Kernel Driver
Compaq Easy Access PS2 Internet Keyboard (Win2K),Kernel Driver
Floppy Disk Controller Driver,Kernel Driver
Fips,Kernel Driver
Floppy Disk Driver,Kernel Driver
Volume Manager Driver,Kernel Driver
Generic Packet Classifier,Kernel Driver
i8042 Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse Port Driver,Kernel Driver
IntelIde,Kernel Driver
IPSEC driver,Kernel Driver
PnP ISA/EISA Bus Driver,Kernel Driver
Keyboard Class Driver,Kernel Driver
KSecDD,Kernel Driver
mnmdd,Kernel Driver
Mouse Class Driver,Kernel Driver
MountMgr,Kernel Driver
WebDav Client Redirector,File System Driver
MRXSMB,File System Driver
Msfs,File System Driver
Mup,File System Driver
NaiAvFilter1,File System Driver
NDIS System Driver,Kernel Driver
Remote Access NDIS TAPI Driver,Kernel Driver
NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol,Kernel Driver
Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver,Kernel Driver
NDIS Proxy,Kernel Driver
NetBIOS Interface,File System Driver
NetBios over Tcpip,Kernel Driver
Npfs,File System Driver
Ntfs,File System Driver
Null,Kernel Driver
nv,Kernel Driver
Parallel port driver,Kernel Driver
PartMgr,Kernel Driver
ParVdm,Kernel Driver
PCI Bus Driver,Kernel Driver
WAN Miniport (PPTP),Kernel Driver
Processor Driver,Kernel Driver
Direct Parallel Link Driver,Kernel Driver
Remote Access Auto Connection Driver,Kernel Driver
WAN Miniport (L2TP),Kernel Driver
Remote Access PPPOE Driver,Kernel Driver
Direct Parallel,Kernel Driver
Rdbss,File System Driver
RDPCDD,Kernel Driver
Terminal Server Device Redirector Driver,Kernel Driver
RDPWD,Kernel Driver
Digital CD Audio Playback Filter Driver,Kernel Driver
Serenum Filter Driver,Kernel Driver
Serial port driver,Kernel Driver
smwdm,Kernel Driver
System Restore Filter Driver,File System Driver
Srv,File System Driver
Software Bus Driver,Kernel Driver
Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device,Kernel Driver
TCP/IP Protocol Driver,Kernel Driver
TDTCP,Kernel Driver
Terminal Device Driver,Kernel Driver
Microcode Update Driver,Kernel Driver
Microsoft USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller Miniport Driver,Kernel
Driver
USB2 Enabled Hub,Kernel Driver
Microsoft USB Universal Host Controller Miniport Driver,Kernel Driver
VgaSave,Kernel Driver
Virtual Machine Monitor,Kernel Driver
VolSnap,Kernel Driver
Virtual Machine Network Services Driver,Kernel Driver
Remote Access IP ARP Driver,Kernel Driver
Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver,Kernel Driver

----- End of CSV data -----

Bill Sanderson

Does your version of XP have any free support attached?

Retail versions have a small number of free online (via email) support
incidents.
Some folks may have purchased support from their OEM vendor for OEM versions
of XP.

I don't have any handy way to get this looked at that I've thought of,
anyway. If I had the hardware and could reproduce it, I could complain and
get it looked at.

If you were part of a technical beta for Windows or a Service pack, you
could submit a bug report with technical data, and they would look at it, as
well, but probably not get it fixed, since it isn't a Service pack issue.

I tend to want to put the blame on the video driver/utility maker--any way
to get feedback to them about this?