First rogue cleaning tool for a Mac

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It claims to clean your Mac from compromising files and it will always find something to fix/clean and the only way to do that is to buy the program.

Rogue/fake software like this has been around for years on Windows (WinFixer, SpySheriff etc) and are designed to trick people into thinking that they have security problems and the only way to solve it is to buy the software. Up until now this has been a Windows-only problem but that's not the case anymore.

So what does the first Mac rogue application really mean? It means that with Mac's growing popularity and growing user base comes certain problems that can't be ignored. Mac users will increasingly come under attack from bad guys and this new rogue application and the constant stream of new variants of DNSChanger is proof of that. It doesn't mean that Mac is becoming less secure in itself. But it means that Mac users have to watch out for social engineering tricks just like Windows users have had to do for years.

MacSweeper's sibling in the Windows world is called Cleanator.

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001362.html

:user:

can I laugh me head off now ?

Ask a Question