Windows 7 First Blue Screen Of Death

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I forgot to run memtest.

Have had no BSOD's since last post.

Thanks for advice Kristain but this problem has been there since initial installation so system restore is not really an option.

Anyhow, it might (ha ha) be ok now.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And yet again, ze famous Microsoft Blue Screen of Termination...

As mentioned previously have upgraded video drivers and have just done two runs of Memtest V4.10 which showed no errors on my 4 1Gb sticks of Corsair DDR2.

Error message was the same and it does seem to be video related.

It's worth mentioning that this setup ran flawlessly with Win Vista Home Premium for over 18 months and I never had any errors with Vista.

It's also worth mentioning that despite my constant though infrequent BSOD's I think Win 7 is possibly the best OS Microsoft have produced if we take into consideration the hardware it's designed for.

Still, it seems I have a clash somewhere, which is damned annoying.

Considering changing/upgrading video card, not just because of BSOD but a decent upgrade over my Nvidia 9800GTX 512Mb can be had by changing to an ATI card at a very reasonable price.

Whether an ATI card will run Battlefield BC2 and Metro 2033 decently is another matter, of course....

I'm afraid, for now, I wouldn't buy any of the latest gen of Nvidia cards because of noise and heat issues, which is a shame really.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://techreport.com/articles.x/17652/10

Conclusions
Well, there you have it. The Radeon HD 5850 manages to outshine the fastest single-GPU GeForce card overall while costing less, drawing less power, and producing less noise. We wouldn't be surprised to see Nvidia cut prices in the near future, but in any case, the 5850 is hands-down the second-fastest single-GPU graphics card on the market.

Performance isn't the 5850's only strength, either. AMD's newcomer also brings higher-quality antialiasing and filtering algorithms, as well as next-generation DirectX 11 goodness, so it'll let you enjoy extra eye candy in upcoming games while making old ones look even better. That functionality would be worth a price premium if the 5850 commanded one, but it doesn't—at least not for now.

The Radeon HD 5850 is also a compelling solution for quiet, low-power, or compact builds, since it delivers excellent performance with a more reasonable power and noise footprint than previous high-end cards. And it doesn't have a freakishly long circuit board like the Radeon HD 5870, which is always a plus.

Speaking of the 5870, we're now left wondering whether that behemoth is worth the $120 premium over its little brother. The 5850 may be slower, but for the most part, it's still quick enough to generate smooth frame rates at 2560x1600 with AA and AF cranked up in current games (Crysis Warhead's "Enthusiast" preset excepted). We'll have to see whether that changes once DirectX 11 games start hitting stores, but for now, the 5850 sure seems to be fast enough for today's titles.

One could certainly make a case for the 5870 for users who wish to game on triple-monitor setups or with supersampled antialiasing, since those activities will benefit from greater horsepower. However, for the vast majority of even hardcore gamers, the Radeon HD 5850 looks to be plenty powerful.

The 5850 looks to be the best value card out at the moment. I'd go for the Asus one as it has the extra tweaking thingy. Best point about this card is that over time games will need a better GPU so you could simply add an extra 5850 for a crossfire set up an of course by that time the 5850 prices will have dropped so you get a cheap upgrade path.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...og_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDwQ8wIwAw#

:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.techspot.com/review/283-geforce-gtx-400-vs-radeon-hd-5800/page3.html

A bit more up to date info for you Flops relevant as they measure performance in both games you are interested in.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm still getting the very occasional BSOD, latest vid drivers, sound drivers, other drivers & BIOS.

This happened yesterday:

attachment.php

And my spec:

attachment.php

Anybody any ideas?

Attachments

• bsod_003.jpg
    bsod_003.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,169
  • speccy_001.JPG
    speccy_001.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 469

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Did you run Memtest in the end, i cant remember. :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Did you run Memtest in the end, i cant remember. :blush:

I can't remember either, lol, but I'll run it for a couple of hours come morning time, just to make sure.

Thanks for the reminder :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
that graphics card looks a bit warm, hot compared to my 9800, same spec, different company

I see fuzzy lines, like degauss, if I allow it to get around the 50s mark ... is 'cos I forget to turn up the fan to 60% as the damn software from nVidia will not do it autoly

just a thought, can't 'see' anything that may cause the BS unless it be software related

[edit] may seem funny, but I wouldn't be surprised if'n it be a lack of HD space ;)

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Memtest showed no faults.

Primary HDD has 31.5Gb free of 279Gb free. The usage bar in 'My Computer' shows green so according to Windows 7 this is acceptable usage and it's not too full. Secondary HDD has 234Gb free of 465Gb.

It's probably worth mentioning again that this same machine ran Vista for two years without suffering a single BSOD. In fact Vista has been the most stable Windows OS I've used so far. Slow, annoying in places, but stable.

Win 7 has had a different video card fitted during it's installation time and I'd guess about half a dozen different video drivers but the BSOD's have occured with all changes.

All other drivers, BIOS, optical drive firmware, are current.

attachment.php

Attachments

• memtest_001.jpg
    memtest_001.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,590

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Things seem to have taken a turn for the worse, three bsod's within the last hour.

temps are ok, cpu is 23C gpu is 48C, latest Nvidia drivers (260.99) there are no newer nvidia beta drivers available.

Here's a couple of them:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm beginning to consider a new motherboard.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just had a look around and it seems the only decent socket 775 motherboards now only support DDR3 memory. If I have to buy new memory as well as a motherboard then it's probably worth just going the i7 route. Which is more expensive.

I'll just have to see if this problem gets worse I suppose.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Have you left Core Temp running and logging to see if you get a temp spike, an the same applies to a GFX temp utility. Do you possibly have a loose connection somewhere, I remember you had a dodgy hdd connector once that caused you probs.

happywave.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hey Flops, that first one is a bit of a mystery, probably a dodgy driver somewhere....

That second one is the Nvidia drivers. Got the latest version?

May i suggest you try these guys, they are good at reading the minidumps by all accounts.
http://www.w7forums.com/crashes-bsods-and-debugging-f31.html

You could zip it and upload it here and i'll take a look, cant guarantee i'd spot the offending issue though. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Hey Flops, that first one is a bit of a mystery, probably a dodgy driver somewhere....

That second one is the Nvidia drivers. Got the latest version?

floppybootstomp said:
temps are ok, cpu is 23C gpu is 48C, latest Nvidia drivers (260.99) there are no newer nvidia beta drivers available.

And zip what up? I haven't looked at the link you gave yet, just about to :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
attachment.php

I'm using Avast wth the above and have had no BSOD's in couple of months that I have been running 7 if that helps at all.
happywave.gif

Attachments

• 2011-01-05_153858.jpg
    2011-01-05_153858.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 258

Ask a Question