FireFox 4 Feedback

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
TC posted in another thread that there may be some problems with the WYSIWYG editor on PC Review and FireFox 4. I'm using FF4 to type this and can't replicate it, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem? (outlined below)

As I type in the "quick reply" box, I am seeing two white, vertical white lines briefly appearing as I hit the keys/space-bar (or left click). Bit puzzled about that... anyone else notice it happening? I can't get a screen shot to illustrate... ooh, yes I can!! Will attach it below, you can just make out the tiny lines dissecting the black part of the surrounding box, if you look (very) closely.

(They are still happening in the "go advanced" reply area too. It's no biggie, I'm just a bit intrigued.)

attachment.php

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I am really not having-a-go at Firefox 4, (my default browser) but I have discovered another wee glitch, which is affecting some users.

FF4, apparently doesn't much like "Verified by Visa" that little security screen, which usually pops-up if one is using a Visa debit card to make an online payment for something. The problem is known about: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/805248

For the past 5 weeks I have had problems getting through the Sainsbury's online checkout. The VBV screen behaved exactly as it always has... but instead of getting the final screen (saying: "thank you for your custom" or whatever,) it would zap me back to a Home screen and invite me to checkout! :fool: Surprisingly, their Customer Services didn't seem to have much of a clue, and kept on suggesting that we should call the Bank. :rolleyes: They even have a little notice (on the checkout page) which says that a few customers are experiencing problems, and giving a CS number to call.

Anyway... just in case any of you have/are encountering a similar problem (or know the solution?) My own temporary solution is to switch to IE9 for grocery shopping!! :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmmm, i use VBV all the time when buying stuff, never had an issue with FF4, Not even heard of any issues.

Out of interest, have you tried a new profile?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hmmm, i use VBV all the time when buying stuff, never had an issue with FF4, Not even heard of any issues.

Out of interest, have you tried a new profile?

That's why I didn't twig earlier that it could be FF - it has always been so trouble-free for me. :nod:

No, I haven't tried a new profile, but did you happen to see one of the suggestions on the Mozilla site I linked to..? I found a Certificate Authority listed for "Visa" but wondered if I'd be messing anything up if I deleted it. :confused:

As you can tell, I'm a bit unsure of myself when it comes to "deeper tweaks." :blush:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Go on then, i'll bite.

Just ran, though i do have a few tabs open...

attachment.php

Attachments

• FFbench.png
    FFbench.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 326

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
This is mine... but wondering how accurate they are? I would have expected to get a much lower score than V_R, particularly as my browser is still behaving a bit oddly. :confused:

FFbenchmark22May.jpg

I looked at the detailed results too:
FFdetailedresults22May.jpg

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
TBH, I think most 'Browser benchmarks' are a load of crap, if its working its fine as far as i'm concerned.

If it feels slow then i'll worry. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
There are those people who have strong opinions.

Some of those people can't see beyond the end of their nose and think only their opinion is valid as in 'Opera sucks' and 'Only IE9 is worth using as a browser' and so on and so forth.

A bit like music, really, some people will say 'That is so totally bad' whereas a more diplomatic person might say 'That is not for me, I don't really like it'.

We all have opinions and it don't mean our opinion is right or wrong. Well, not always, anyway.

So let me say I realise a helluva lot of people like Firefox but I don't.

I think some people simply like Firefox cos they think they are stepping outside what they percieve as a predetermined box and think they are being terribly computer literate and clever. Plus it's Linux's favoured browser therefore it must be good - right?

But I don't like it. I wish I did, but I don't. My biggest gripe is the fact you can't display an empty screen there has to be a page showing. Both IE and Opera let you have a blank screen and there are times when I want a blank screen in my browser, Firefox won't allow this.

Plus Firefox has become so popular those devil spawn virus writers are now concentrating on the red bushy tailed pointy eared fox fellow rather than Redmond's offering.

So far I have only found one thing in Firefox's favour, a plug-in named 'Download Helper' which enables you to download any onscreen video content and also change file format on the fly if you prefer.

So you can use this thing within Firefox to download an flv file playing and save it as an mpeg file. Now that's good :)

But that's about it, let me bow my head in shame but I still like IE :blush:

One day, I shall try Chrome.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
But I don't like it. I wish I did, but I don't. My biggest gripe is the fact you can't display an empty screen there has to be a page showing. Both IE and Opera let you have a blank screen and there are times when I want a blank screen in my browser, Firefox won't allow this.

It will now, Sir Flopps. :thumb: There is an option to choose "show a blank page" when Firefox starts.

(Tools, Options, General-tab, for any reader who doesn't know where to find it.)

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I sit with Floppy on the Browser Wars, tho I been guilty of gloat for using the best browser. ;)

I was gonna post me "results" also, just as a comparison, but noticed I have the same result, all be it from using Chrome, as the rest of you, 9559. :D

Oh, and I still like IE also, if they implement a spell checker, I'll be using it, I just never liked FF, you had to 'fix' it to get the best out of it, why?. Sorry, dunno if thats changed.

If you like what you use, use it. :cheers:

Ask a Question