File Sharing between XP Pro and XP Home

Discussion in 'Security Networking' started by Guest, Oct 24, 2006.

    I have a few questions concerning file sharing between XP Pro and XP Home in
    a Workgroup environment. I would really appreciate any help.

    1)From what I'm gathering on the internet (I've read multiple articles) you
    cannot even connect a Windows XP Home computer to a domain. I'm I
    interpreting this correctly?

    2)I have a new server with XP Pro and 5 other computers with XP Home. I
    only have 3 computers (which includes the new XP Pro server) that really
    need access to everything (or the main folders) on the server. The other 3
    computers need limited access. If I purchase XP Pro for just the 2 computers
    that need access to everything then I set up the folders to only allow access
    to those computers can I accomplish special file/folder permissions just for
    the 3 XP Pro computers without without having to purchase XP Pro for all the
    computers? The computers that need limited server access might be able to
    see the folders in network places but it doesn't matter as long as they
    cannot access the folders. This would still be in a workgroup instead of a
    domain. Would this work to allow only my XP Pro systems the full access and
    have my XP Home systems with only limited access?

    3. If I decide to purchase XP Pro for all my computers and set up a domain
    is this a difficult task knowing I already have a workgroup established.

    Thanks!

    Guest, Oct 24, 2006

  2. These groups are for the support of Windows Defender, but we can answer some
    more general questions as well.
    (interspersed)

    "T Gill" <> wrote in message
    >I have a few questions concerning file sharing between XP Pro and XP Home
    >in
    > a Workgroup environment. I would really appreciate any help.
    >
    > 1)From what I'm gathering on the internet (I've read multiple articles)
    > you
    > cannot even connect a Windows XP Home computer to a domain. I'm I
    > interpreting this correctly?

    Not quite. An XP Home machine can connect to a domain fine, it just cannot
    JOIN the domain--i.e. become a managed part of a set of machines governed by
    group policy, for example. Additionally, domain passwords are not cached on
    an XP home machine, and will need to be re-entered at each logon or
    connection. So--an XP Home machine can be used to connect to a domain for
    occasional work, or from home--but isn't suited to permanent connection to a
    domain--i.e. full time use in a domain environment.

    > 2)I have a new server with XP Pro and 5 other computers with XP Home. I
    > only have 3 computers (which includes the new XP Pro server) that really
    > need access to everything (or the main folders) on the server. The other 3
    > computers need limited access. If I purchase XP Pro for just the 2
    > computers
    > that need access to everything then I set up the folders to only allow
    > access
    > to those computers can I accomplish special file/folder permissions just
    > for
    > the 3 XP Pro computers without without having to purchase XP Pro for all
    > the
    > computers? The computers that need limited server access might be able to
    > see the folders in network places but it doesn't matter as long as they
    > cannot access the folders. This would still be in a workgroup instead of a
    > domain. Would this work to allow only my XP Pro systems the full access
    > and
    > have my XP Home systems with only limited access?

    A domain involves a server level OS--i.e. Windows Server 2003, for example.
    So--even though you consider your XP Pro machine a "server"--you needn't
    think about domain versus workgroup issues in the scenario as you've
    outlined it.

    In a domain, there is a centralized logon credential resource shared by all
    machines. In a workgroup, credentials are separately defined on each
    machine. I believe you can accomplish what you intend with either XP Home
    or XP pro on the "workstation" machines, but I'll confess to some
    uncertainty, having not worked with XP Home extensively.

    > 3. If I decide to purchase XP Pro for all my computers and set up a domain
    > is this a difficult task knowing I already have a workgroup established.

    You can't do this---a domain would require Windows Server 2003--so don't
    worry about it! You should ask these questions in an XP-related newsgroup
    to get a second opinion, but I believe that if you turn off "simple file
    sharing" on the XP Pro "server"--you'll be able to accomplish what you want.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Oct 24, 2006