File / Printer Sharing Problem

G

I am unable to share files and printers between my 2 home network computers through a Netgear router. Both computers connect to the internet without a problem through the network. One PC has XP Pro and the other XP Home. The files and printer that I want to share are on the XP Home computer. I have run the setup wizard on both PC's using the "connect" through residential gateway" option. I cannot get the add a network printer wizard to see the network printer (printer sharing has been enabled). I cannot see the shared files on the other computer. When I ping the other PC's IP address I get no reply. Same when I ping from the other computer to this one. I do have firewall software on each PC (Zone Alarm), although I do not think this is the problem. Some help, please! I have spent one and a half exasperating days trying to get this to work.

R

Robert L [MS-MVP]

for the test, just disable firewall. If still the same issue, post the
result of ipconfig /all on both computers.

--
For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

G

Thanks. Networking works now. All I did was disable the firewall on both PC's and was able to install and use the network printer on the other PC. Disabling the firewall on only the PC the printer is directly installed to didn't work and thats why I didn't think it was the firewall protection. Sometimes the simplest things are the ones that work.

Ask a Question