Windows Vista File and folder settings question :)

Reaction score
I did find a post about this already on the forum but it was for win xp and from 2010 .. didnt think ud want it revived lol
.. ok this is my issue and from what I see online there are many with the issue with very few answers and all answers for win xp, not Vista .. I use Vista and need this remedied.
I want to be able to put for instance: "New Music" = view: list for the folder .. yet I want the music inside, for instance: "Kelly Clarkson - Never Again" , "ACDC - Back In Black" , "Bridge Burning - Foo Fighters" etc etc etc .. I want to view: large icons for the files contained within the folder(s). :confused:

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. If it really works I will even do a happy dance :dance: :lol:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Are you trying to do this via programming or just "click and set"?

When I play with my folder structure in Win 7, I have the ability to modify each folder for the view desired. This involves navigating to the folder and viewing the contents. Set the view to the one desired and back out. This achieves what I want when I have my movie collection visible. My "Movies" folder contain a "detailed" view of the organized folders containing the movies. In order to show large thumbnails, I have to go into each folder and set it to the desired view.

Google "registry setting for all folders view windows vista"

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-fix-annoying-folder-view-type-problem-in-windows-vista/

I think this is what you're talking about being the issue?

Reaction score
Are you trying to do this via programming or just "click and set"?

When I play with my folder structure in Win 7, I have the ability to modify each folder for the view desired. This involves navigating to the folder and viewing the contents. Set the view to the one desired and back out. This achieves what I want when I have my movie collection visible. My "Movies" folder contain a "detailed" view of the organized folders containing the movies. In order to show large thumbnails, I have to go into each folder and set it to the desired view.

Google "registry setting for all folders view windows vista"

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-fix-annoying-folder-view-type-problem-in-windows-vista/

I think this is what you're talking about being the issue?

I went to the linked site and followed the instructions. So far so good .. I haven't rebooted again yet because I just have too many files open that I need to sort thru before I reboot again.
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance: the Happy Dance !!

Thank you soo very much for your wisdom and the fact that you shared it with me :thumb:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
That is the key. The link discusses the fact that setting change upon placing a new item in a folder.

Do a test with a couple folders first and see if the settings stick. If one or two will, the rest will as well.

Glad you got some results. :D

Reaction score
It all works Surfer ! Thru several folders and a few reboots. It stays exactly how I put it now. What a huge relief, it was so annoying having to reset the view every time I opened the folders.
You're awesome.
My thanks to you yet again, I don't think I would have ever figured that out without your help <3 :)

Ask a Question