Fedora (Fomerly Red Hat) Linux Core 1

Gordon Darling

Fedora (Fomerly Red Hat) Linux Core 1
Author: RedHat
Program Type: Freeware

File Description:

The Fedora Project is an openly-developed project designed by Red Hat,
open for general participation, led by a meritocracy, following a set of
project objectives. The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the
Linux community to build a complete, general purpose operating system
exclusively from open source software. Development will be done in a
public forum. The project will produce time-based releases of Fedora Core
about 2-3 times a year, with a public release schedule. The Red Hat
engineering team will continue to participate in building Fedora Core and
will invite and encourage more outside participation than in past
releases. By using this more open process, we hope to provide an operating
system more in line with the ideals of free software and more appealing to
the open source community.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=954171700
https://www.redhat.com/

Release Date: November 5th, 2003
File Size: 610000 KB
Download Time: 1,487.2 min @ 56k/s
Platform: Linux
License: Freeware

Regards
Gordon

BoB

Fedora (Fomerly Red Hat) Linux Core 1
Author: RedHat
Program Type: Freeware

[...]

Info for anyone who hasn't seen it:

Red Hat Inc. has just announced that it is going to drop support
for Linux... users of any enterprise-level Linux distro with the
Red Hat name on it will need to pay for it.
http://www.linuxworld.com/story/37812.htm

There's more to the story--- Red Hat is pushing its non-paying
customers to a new, untested free distro called "Fedora"
(http://www.fedora.us/index-main.html ). But Fedora isn't the same as
Red Hat, and a lot of Red Hat users are now angry at being forced to pay
or switch.

BoB
For the duration of Swen, my address is inoperative.

CHarneyCHRIS

Subject: Re: Fedora (Fomerly Red Hat) Linux Core 1
From: BoB (e-mail address removed)
Date: 11/8/2003 10:07 AM E. Australia Standard Time

Fedora (Fomerly Red Hat) Linux Core 1
Author: RedHat
Program Type: Freeware

[...]

another multi cd linux!

Klein

But Fedora isn't the same as
Red Hat, and a lot of Red Hat users are now angry at being forced to
pay or switch.

That was my thought, but checking with several consultants I know who do
Linux for real (not play, like me), they're already paying Red Hat for the
"deluxe" product in order to get the support. They say even at that, Red
HAt Linux costs but a fraction of the equivalent MSFT licenses, less
security exposure, and easier to implement and maintain.

Richard Steven Hack

Info for anyone who hasn't seen it:

Red Hat Inc. has just announced that it is going to drop support
for Linux... users of any enterprise-level Linux distro with the
Red Hat name on it will need to pay for it.
http://www.linuxworld.com/story/37812.htm

You had to pay for it before if you wanted support.
There's more to the story--- Red Hat is pushing its non-paying
customers to a new, untested free distro called "Fedora"
(http://www.fedora.us/index-main.html ). But Fedora isn't the same as
Red Hat, and a lot of Red Hat users are now angry at being forced to pay
or switch.

If you look over in the Linux newsgroups, a lot of people believe this
is actually better because the Fedora distro is being put together by
the community (with substantial Red Hat help by the way) and it is
expected that this distro may eventually be better than Red Hat
because Red Hat tended to upgrade things slowly whereas the community
distros tend to be more cutting edge.

It's not a pay or switch problem. You essentially get the same distro
as Red Hat (or better) for free download, and corporate customers pay
for their server support as they do now. It's not like anyone is
surprised as Red Hat indicated some time ago they intended to phase
out the consumer version.

The only negative some people see about this is that once the Red Hat
consumer version disappears from retail shelves like CompUSA, the
consumer side of Linux may not expand as quickly as it was. This is
not certain, however.

Another advantage is that distros like Slackware and Debian are likely
to get more users now.

Anyway, Linux is not a big deal to upgrade. Basically you start with
any Red Hat or other distro, then start upgrading on a steady basis -
new kernels, new versions of the desktop, new utilities - everything
is available for download from many sources, so it's not like Red Hat
is cutting anybody off from having the latest stuff. You just don't
get it on a CD - unless of course you buy a CD with the latest stuff
off eBay or some Linux reseller. For some business users, they don't
LIKE to have to upgrade their servers, so they run a known-stable
older version to minimize maintenance.

All in all, it's not big deal. Red Hat dumps its consumer version,
the community picks it up and keeps rolling. Red Hat makes more money
by concentrating on the server editions, and the improvements made
there flow back into the community edition eventually.