FBI Issues Warning About Computer Virus

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
FBI Issues Warning About Computer Virus

Feb 23, 9:46 AM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) - The FBI warned Tuesday that a computer virus is being spread through unsolicited e-mails that purport to come from the FBI.

The e-mails appear to come from an fbi.gov address. They tell recipients that they have accessed illegal Web sites and that their Internet use has been monitored by the FBI's "Internet Fraud Complaint Center," the FBI said.

The messages then direct recipients to open an attachment and answer questions. The computer virus is in the attachment.

"Recipients of this or similar solicitations should know that the FBI does not engage in the practice of sending unsolicited e-mails to the public in this manner," the FBI said in a statement.

The bureau is investigating the phony e-mails.

The agency earlier this month shut down fbi.gov accounts, used to communicate with the public, because of a security breach. A spokeswoman said the two incidents appear to be unrelated.
The FBI would not be sending you an email ... they would just knock on your door instead. :p

:D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
now what are the FBI more likely to do?

turn up unanounced in the early hours of the morning saying your under arrest and taking your computer

or

sending an e-mail saying

we've have been watching your computer and tracked you carrying out illegal activities online, please answer a few questions and we'll be round in the morning for your computer but in the meantime feel free to destroy any incriminating evidence

no offence to the people that have opened the e-mail thinking it was genuine but you must of been looking at something naughty for you to think it was genuine, so its your own fault!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can imagine so many people falling for this too!

I've deleted real warnings before, such as an "overdue ebay account"... I kept deleting it, as it asked for my to update my card details... bad move! Eventually I got a personalised e-mail and realised it was real (this was a few years ago now).

Ask a Question