Fastest Database To Store Data

CT [Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:57:18 -0400]:
You assume I'm a PPC developer, just as you assume I come from an eVB

Nope, I figured that someone that spends so much time talking
about CF would have something to show.

And sure, just like eVB, I expect a good amount of in-house (read:
bookkeeper-written) applications will be done using CF (eVB being
dead and all). These, though, I will never see, so we're back at
line #1. I figured that surely someone that eats, sleeps, and
breathes CF would have something to demonstrate. It might be
something to look at next time you get the urge to P/Invoke yourself.

Keld Laursen

CT [Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:57:18 -0400]:
You assume I'm a PPC developer, just as you assume I come from an eVB

Nope, I figured that someone that spends so much time talking
about CF would have something to show.

If you assume, you make an ass out of both you and me! :)

Just because I'm writing programs for the PPC platform I'm still aware that
there are many people out there doing EvB or .NET programs for stuff like
photocopiers, printers, special data collection devices, advanced color
TV's, cars (heaven help me) or other such stuff. I can't visualise the day
where a hefty machine running any kind of Windows will be embedded into my
coffeemaker, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

Try looking up from your own navel and see what happens around you for a
change!

/Keld Laursen

Boris Nienke

KL [Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:22:07 +0200]:
If you assume, you make an ass out of both you and me

Funny how whenever someone (else) writes "assume", at
[...]

just one more posting:
in this group, we are using the CompactFramework. It really doesn't matter
if you like it or not.

It seems, that you have a really fast database engine - but i've asked you
and you told me, it maybe can be a problem with CompactFramework and you
don't have an interface for the CF.

And you wrote me:
[...]
There is no demo dll for ce, only x86 win32.
[...]
BN> BTW: i havn't found a "Buy"-Button or "Try"-Button... does this mean
BN> it is free?

There's an order form in the package. Nothing at all for ce, though. I
only even put "CE" up on the gt40 web page a few days ago. Maybe later
I'll
have something, but right now I think you'd only be wasting your time
(considering there's no dll for you). The main problem you'd have is
dealing with the callback it typically expects to make for the sort
compare;
without a callback it makes a straight memcmp() across the items' sizes.
Since CF can't do callbacks (among many things CF can't do), that's a major
roadblock (just as well since it can make a many, many millions of
callbacks
in a minute, and you don't want to do that in a native->managed->native
callback). You'd have to write your sort compare routines (usually, simple
3 or 4 line jobs) in regular code and put it in a dll and use that to do
it.
So, it could be done, but most using CF won't want, or maybe even know how,
to do that.
[...]

so again i have to "Sorry" - but as you can see here in the group there are
more than one people looking for a fast and simple database for CE-Devices
to use with the CompactFramework.

and again: when you can offer your database engine with CF-Interface,
please contact me. I would be still interessted in it!

But, as long as you cannot offer something for CF, please stop posting how
fast other solutions could be... if you are working in a big company, .NET
could be a strategy. The PPC-Application could just be a _very simple_ part
of the whole piece (Desktop-Application with web-interface, Web-service,
etc. etc. etc). So please stop blaming on CF-Perfomance (i know it's slow -
but what is slow if the application is fast enough to work with?). It
doesn't matter if the user is waiting 0,5 Sekonds or 0,1 Sekonds when
clicking on a record... but you are right: my customers won't wait 7
Minutes for 10000 records to insert - i would have to search for other
solutions...

so - please go and offer something for CF-Users... ;-)

Boris