Farcry 2

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I checked with Play.com on Wednesday and for some reason the credit card I used to make the purchase had been declined, I'll have to have a word with the credit card company about that, I've no idea why.

So I thought about ordering from an alternative source but in the end ordered from Play.com again on Thursday to get the steel box thingie.

And I'm still waiting for delivery.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Far Crysis MOD

A mod that recreates Far Cry 2 experience in the Cry Engine 2 (Thats the engine that runs Crysis if you were wondering)​

The Story will be the same as Far Cry 2 but with different missions!

The goal of the player's character is to find and assassinate "The Jackal," an arms dealer that has been selling weapons to both sides of the conflict. The player must accomplish this goal by whatever means necessary, perhaps even through actions which are dangerously close to the level of immorality employed by the warring factions and the Jackal himself

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=37844&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1

If this work i can see it being very good. Check out some of the pics and stuff in the link. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My copy arrived today from Play.com (in a metal case, whoopee).

I notice minimum specs say 2.66Ghz Pentium processor and I only have a dualie 2.4Ghz.

I expect it will probably run ok but does anybody know for sure?

Also wondering whether it's worth overclocking, 2.6Ghz was actually the most I could get this system up to (see sig) I had 2Gb of memory then, now I have 4Gb, don't know if that makes any difference, probably not.

I think all I done was up the fsb until it crashed then I throttled back til it booted ok and that was at 2.6Ghz, which really isn't very good is it? I expect the RAM isn't too clever for overclocking.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Itll be fine flops, i have 2.4 E66. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, so far I think it's a bit crap :(

The graphics are superb, I have everything on high, running DX10 and res of 1920 x 1200, the same res as my desktop.

Movements are fluid, mouse control is good, no jerkiness, everything is smooth and looks absolutely brilliant.

The problem is in the gameplay itself.

I keep keeling over and dying of malaria and it is royally cheesing me off :mad:

Lemme see, playing on easy level, I sit through the longest ever opening intro movie I've ever known in a game. I get instructions to kill the guards in a safe house and am pointed towards a car. I fix the car, jump in, drive, park up near safe house, creep through undergrowth and kill guards.

Nip into safe house and have a kip til six in the morning.

I come out, the car's disappeared and my mission status still says 'Kill the scouts and unlock the safe house'. I couldda sworn I done that :confused:

So I start walking around, get dizzy, and open up my medicine pills container - I don't have any so I die and end up re-spawning back where I got the original instructions.

So I fix the car again, drive to safe house, there are no scouts to kill now and my instructions are still the same - kill the scouts & unlock the safe house.

I drive around for a while, looking for clues, but just die of malaria again.

What total crap :mad:

I've just wasted £25.00 I think, just to see some good graphics.

So that's two in a row I've wasted money on now cos I didn't think much of Crysis Warhead either - dying and having to play a level over and over just to reach a checkpoint is not my idea of fun.

I'm going to start Far Cry 2 again from the beginning and see if I missed anything. The manual offers few clues, it just says you need to take pills now and again. Gurrrrr - what a crock of crap :mad:

I just hope CoD5 is good.

Right now I'm off to play the CoD2 GobRats maps - rifles only but real good fun.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah ya the malaria is kinda crap. lol

There is a mission later where you goto the church in pala get maleria tablets. Priest asks you to goto an underground place to deliver passports and you get more.

Saying that, it sounds like your save is FUBAR somehow as the car should stay there. :)

Maybe try an eariler save game?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply V_R, I'm going to start the game fresh over I think.

I also initially had a problem with the game's video resolution. My desktop res of 1920 x 1200 was supported in DX9 (which the game defaults to on install) so I set it to nearest which was, I think, 1920 x 980. That ran ok in DX9 but when I switched to DX10 I couldn't open the game at all, not even in safe mode.

So I had to uninstall/reinstall the game again. I just hope that doesn't count as one key activation. But it did save my settings so probably not.

This time I switched to DX10 in the game's default res, something like 1280 x 720, and the game opened ok but was shrunk to a window. In DX10 my res of 1920 x 1200 was offered so I set it to that and no probs.

I shall persevere ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nah if you uninstalled that should give you it back if you know what i mean. :)

Regarding the widescreen issues you could try this...

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143018

If your starting again, i'd delete your old farcry folders for install and saves etc just incase its a dodgy file somewhere? I dknow know where Vista keeps the saves though, sorry. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Documents > My Games > Far Cry 2 > GamerProfile >

Smoothness=0
Smoothness_Ironsight=0

Dramatically improves mouse performance. Even gives a couple of FPS as the game no longer buffers a couple of frames to try and smooth out mouse movement.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The game's running fine now :)

I uninstalled everything, re-installed and all is well.

What a strange thing to happen eh?

I done that smoothness change listed above, can't really notice any difference.

How do you show fps within the game? I can bring the console down by pressing the '¬' key, what is the command?

And am really enjoying this game now, got through the training bit, on my way to the first mission; got some diamonds, got a new weapon and really like how good it looks.

I'm on Easy setting atm, but I think it's a little too easy, I may start another game on the next setting up I think.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The smothness this help mine a bit, seemed to well smooth it out a bit. :)
(It was just a copy and paste job form another site btw) :D

Thats a strange one flops, very odd....

I dont know what the console comand is for FPS is off the top of my head, but i use Xfire to show my ingame fps, But Fraps will also do it. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Getting into this game now, it's livened up a bit - very very good :thumb:

I found out the setting to show fps it's simply open console and

showfps 1

I'm getting between 35 and 55, average about 50 with the system in my sig; latest Nvidia beta video drivers optimised for the game; all settings on high and screen res of 1920 x 1200.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol, i should have guessed, thats what it is for most games. :)

Nice frames, any AA?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nope, no AA as yet but I'll probably try it at some stage.

Here we go:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 170

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice, so notice much difference between DX9 and 10?

Hmmm, all this talk of this game makes me wanna go play it again, am trynig to get into it, just find it fustrating sometimes.....

Roll on 5pm. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I didn't really take in how it looked in DX9, for the short period it ran using DX9 I was too preoccupied with getting the game to work properly to notice how it looked.

It do look rather amazing now though :thumb:

Reaction score
Oh yes, FarCry is a really good looking game, especially considering how "few" (relative to other games) resources it uses. It is exceptionally playable on my E6550, 2 GB, 8800GT XP Pro with 2xAA and everything set to very high at 1680x1050. The environment is pretty immersive and beautifully rendered, especially the sunlight effects. I particularly liked the area around the Goka (sp?) falls which is swamp like.

It's a pity about the lousy AI though. Probably the dumbest I've encountered in a game lately (difficulty:normal).

EDIT: The game has been very stable and bug-free for me so far. (keeping fingers crossed lol)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Crankymonkey said:
It's a pity about the lousy AI though. Probably the dumbest I've encountered in a game lately (difficulty:normal).
Oh yes, its a shame the AI should be so much better tbh.

Ask a Question