FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - please read before posting - unofficial March posting

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word New Users' started by Charles Kenyon, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial

    This FAQ is posted weekly.- more or less
    Please save yourself some time by reading it before posting to the
    news group.

    --- BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING PLEASE READ THESE ---

    http://www.mvps.org/word/FindHelp/Posting.htm
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Reading these articles will help you get a quick and meaningful
    response to your question rather than just more questions for you.
    It may keep your message from being screened or bounced.

    A few basics, in case you decide you can skip that article:
    (1) Be nice; everyone answering questions here is a volunteer.
    (2) Post a question in only one newsgroup generally. If you
    _have to_ post in more than one, post a _single_ message and
    put both newsgroups in the header for that _single_ message.
    (3) Do not attach anything to a message.
    (4) The only really stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    (5) Do not use your real email address unless you enjoy spam. (See
    bottom for sample.)

    The reasons for the requests are spelled out on the web pages.

    A longer version of this FAQ is also on the Internet at
    http://addbalance.com/word

    Newsgroup Archives:

    Best way to access these newsgroups:
    http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm

    MVPs FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word/

    ---

    Also, before posting, you might want to look at the following
    questions to see if yours is among them.

    1. How can I change the default font from Times Roman New 10pt to
    something else?
    http://addbalance.com/word/defaultfont.htm

    2. Page X of Y doesn't work! (You're right, it doesn't!)
    http://addbalance.com/word/pagexofy.htm or
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm

    3. How do I insert a date? Why does it (not) change when I
    re-open the document?
    http://addbalance.com/word/datefields1.htm

    4. How can I use calculated dates in Word?
    http://addbalance.com/word/datefields2.htm

    5. How can I get a different header/footer on the second (and
    subsequent) page(s)?
    http://addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm

    6. What are some good books for me to read about Word?
    http://addbalance.com/word/wordbooks.htm or
    http://www.mvps.org/word/Tutorials/BookRecommendations.htm

    7. How can I best use the Master Document feature?
    http://addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm

    8. Word 2K - How can I keep Word from opening separately for
    every document?
    http://addbalance.com/word/w2000taskbar.htm

    9. Where can I find more information on the Web?
    http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm

    10. How can I get rid of that ^$#*@& paperclip?
    http://addbalance.com/word/officeassistant.htm

    11. How can I get rid of that ^$#*@& web toolbar?
    http://addbalance.com/word/webtoolbar.htm
    (Works for reviewing toolbar, too!)

    12. Why doesn't Word's Fonts list show all of the fonts I
    have installed in Windows?
    http://addbalance.com/word/fontsmissing.htm

    13. What are some basic tips for someone who is converting
    from Word Perfect?
    http://addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm

    14. How do I use (What is?) the Work menu?
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm
    http://addbalance.com/word/workmenu.htm

    15. What are some common errors people make with Word?
    http://addbalance.com/word/wordcommonerrors.htm and
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/TipsAndGotchas.htm

    16. How can I print a booklet?
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Formatting/BookletPrinting.htm

    17. How can I get a template to show up under a tab with
    File => New?
    What are templates? Global templates? Document templates?
    http://addbalance.com/usersguide/template.htm

    18. I need to make a form to...
    If you want a fill-in-the-blanks form you want what Word
    calls an online form. Look in help for that and then follow
    the links at:
    http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms
    especially Dian Chapman's series of articles

    If you want a custom dialog box that you code with VBA
    commands you want a UserForm. Take a look at:
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Userforms.htm

    19. How can I enter something once in a document and have it
    repeat elsewhere?
    http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

    20. Where can I find a good tutorial?
    http://addbalance.com/usersguide/index.htm
    http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/word/Tutorials/index.html

    21. What is an MVP?
    http://www.mvps.org/word/AboutMVPs/index.html and
    http://addbalance.com/word/mvp.htm

    22. I keep getting insufficient memory errors...
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/InsufficientMemory.htm

    23. All my menus / toolbars have disappeared! Help.
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm

    24. When I try to delete I have to confirm it.
    Tools => Options => General -- uncheck the two Word Perfect
    options

    25. I lost my CD Key, disks, etc. and can't reinstall with out it.
    If Word came with your computer contact the manufacturer. If
    you got it separately, contact Microsoft. Starting place:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823570

    26. I'm having trouble with automatic numbering! There's more to
    this than meets the eye.
    http://addbalance.com/usersguide/numbering.htm

    27. I am asked if I want to save changes to the global template
    every time I quit Word.
    http://addbalance.com/word/savenormal.htm

    28. My blank document has text in it - an old letter, etc. See
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm.

    There are more questions than will fit here. For more questions
    and answers, take a look at:
    http://addbalance.com/word/index.htm and
    http://www.mvps.org/word

    Comments / corrections / additions may be sent to
    mailto: . Change the address by
    taking out nospam.

    Posted 3 March 2005

    Charles Kenyon, editor

    Charles Kenyon, Mar 3, 2005

  2. FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial

    Posted 9 March 2005

    Charles Kenyon, editor

    Charles Kenyon, Mar 9, 2005

  3. FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial

    Posted 16 March 2005

    Charles Kenyon, editor

    Charles Kenyon, Mar 16, 2005
  4. FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial

    Posted 22 March 2005

    Charles Kenyon, editor

    Charles Kenyon, Mar 22, 2005
  5. FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial

    Posted 29 March 2005

    Charles Kenyon, editor

    Charles Kenyon, Mar 29, 2005