False Positive?

Marcus

XOFT suddenly finds a windows security update (KB891711) as a Malware
Threat. It calls it a randomly named file....C Windows system:
KB891711 \ KB891711. When I remove it it no longer is on the msconfig
startup menu, which it needs to be. It remains in Windows system. So I
removed and reinstalled the update but XOFT still identifies it as a threat.

So which is the greater threat? Removing the security update.....or ignoring
XOFT's suggestion that it is a threat.

Thanks,

Marcus

Art

XOFT suddenly finds a windows security update (KB891711) as a Malware
Threat. It calls it a randomly named file....C Windows system:
KB891711 \ KB891711. When I remove it it no longer is on the msconfig
startup menu, which it needs to be. It remains in Windows system. So I
removed and reinstalled the update but XOFT still identifies it as a threat.

So which is the greater threat? Removing the security update.....or ignoring
XOFT's suggestion that it is a threat.

I guess you mean XOFTSpy? Never heard of it. But having nothing better
to do at the moment, I installed their trial version. It didn't find
anything on my Win 2K PC, so at least it doesn't seem to be one of the
many rogue spyware scanner products that are flooding the internet :)
You know, so many of them will "find" stuff just to sucker you in.

Did you make sure your PC was completely free of a file named
KB891711.EXE ?? And then d/l a fresh copy from MS and install it?
If so, it would seem XSOFT is false alarming.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Noel Paton

Marcus said:
XOFT suddenly finds a windows security update (KB891711) as a Malware
Threat. It calls it a randomly named file....C Windows system:
KB891711 \ KB891711. When I remove it it no longer is on the msconfig
startup menu, which it needs to be. It remains in Windows system. So I
removed and reinstalled the update but XOFT still identifies it as a
threat.

So which is the greater threat? Removing the security update.....or
ignoring
XOFT's suggestion that it is a threat.

Thanks,

Marcus

we've already been through this elsewhere, Marcus - didn't you like the
answers you got then?

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read on how to post messages to NG's

Marcus

No...........this is a new issue........what are you thinking of?

Marcus said:
[...]

........there is such a file in Windows System .....but isn't it necessary as
a startup file for this patch to be effective?

[...]

On Win ME it's in folder \windows\system\KB891711
and it's part of the startup group of files, yes.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Noel Paton

Ah - so this isn't you in another life, then?