Fallout 3 problem

Reaction score
I cant afford to buy it for 360 aswell. So not gonna happen!

I'm like 6 or 7 hours into it so I will just put it to one side for now see what Bethesda come up with.

My only other option is to uninstall x64 and put x32 on instead. SOOOOOOO much hassle. Maybe do a Dual boot...hmmmmm

Reaction score
To all that have visited or commented within this thread

I have decided to install XP onto a separate Raptor drive and then apply the FO3 game to that.
I will leave it raw for now to see how it runs and then move on to apply patches and whatnot

I can't beleive in start a new OS just to play one game. Isnt it rediculous?!

Reaction score
Yeah thanks mate, however it crasehd on the newer driver too.

Even after installing onto a separate HDD its is still causing problems very similar to over heating issues. Hmmmm. I'm wondering if i shoudl strip my CPU remove heatpad and reapply some compound to see if that helps?!

I may even do the same with my northbridge too

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thought I should post an update here concerning my being unable to play FO3 within Vista 32 Bit.

I have mentioned before that I could play Oblivion: Elder Scrolls IV within Vista 32 Bit but when I recently tried to play Oblivion again, it crashed on me, leaving my computer frozen and the sound card oscillating loudly through the speakers (5.1 setup).

As I hadn't played Oblivion for some time I thought about any hardware changes I'd made recently and figured the last time I played Oblivion I was using a Creative X-Fi Audio whereas now I have an Asus Xonar pci-e DX2 sound card.

When I checked Asus's site, sure enough they were offering a beta driver that dealt with 'Oblivion crashing'. Prior to that Beta driver being issued I noticed the previous driver for the card dealt with problems for a whole list of games, including Bioshock. There was no mention of Fallout 3 though.

So I installed the beta driver for the Asus card and Oblivion worked - for 30 minutes or so. Then it crashed again and continued to crash.

I have tried most games from the list below and it seems all games are working ok with the Asus sound card apart from those published by Bethesda. I await new drivers from Asus with some interest.

I am now playing both Fallout 3 and Oblivion on my AMD/XP machine with no problems at all. Both great games, btw, imo.

I thought I'd post this as I was surprised I seemed to be one of the very few people who couldn't run FO3 within Vista 32 Bit but now I know why.

I have posted elsewhere I think the Asus sound card is a fine piece of kit, I still stand by that, it sounds fabulous, but I am disappointed about the problems it has with Oblivion & FO3.

Here's the list of games I have installed on Vista:

Cod2
Cod4
CoD_WAW
GRID
Driv3r
NFS Underground 2
NFS Most wanted
Bioshock
Assasin's Creed
Timeshift
Far Cry 2
Call Of Juarez
The Longest Journey 1
The Longest Journey 2
CIV 4
CIV 4 Warlords
The Orange Box & add-ons
Dungeon Siege 2
Dungeon Siege 2 Broken World
Quantum Of Solace
Left For Dead
UT3
Painkiller
Painkiller Overdose
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 & two add-ons
Halo 2
MS Flight Simulator X
Syberia
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Reaction score
This seems to be an interesting thread. I certainly hope it doesnt get lost as i'm sure other will find it of use all around the world. I will do the above mentioned things ie reseat the CPU and Northbridge as my puter is well over two years old now and see if it makes a difference although i'm sceptical.

Watch this space.

FYI I am now running on the other installation of XP where FO3 is installed

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hey TripleX

If you want mate i can lend you my copy of FO3 on the XBox 360, i'm still crawling through Farcry 2 and a few others, so i won't miss it for a month.

If you want just PM your address and i'll send her off, aslong as i get it back that is.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Just checked i have your address still from the fan i sent.

Will post it off tomorrow if you want?

Reaction score
Mate that is very very generous of you thankyou so much. But I will decline

I am playing FO3 again on my other HDD and hope the mod I have just completed may have resolved some problems

Again thankyou mate very good of you, but it's ok :D

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
You sure? Okay mate well let me know if you change your mind, is just that its a v.good game and didn't want you missing out.

Reaction score
Yeah i'm cool mate. Somehow I don't think a month would be enough anyway. The game is absolutely massive

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Yeah i'm cool mate. Somehow I don't think a month would be enough anyway. The game is absolutely massive

I was just generalising, you can borrow it for 6 months if you want.

Reaction score
I was having major problems with FO3. could only get as far as the menu and when i clicked new it would give me a not responding message after about 10 seconds of loading. so i went to find some sort of a fix i installed lastest drivers, changed graphics settings downloaded the latest patch etc but then i read that if you have a an asus graphics card and are usung smart doctor or gamer osd the game won't work so i uninstalled them restarted the computer and there you go the game works perfectly at full res on ultra.

Ask a Question