Fad / Think + Cpu Heat

Reaction score
Hey,

What's with this program ;) it's trying to destroy my PC.

I had it happily running one instance when i went to bed, to wake up with the Motherboard screaming at me doing the random alert beeping and the PC had BSOD'd.

So i checked the Fan controller temp zones to find the CPU had hit 92c overnight and thus crash.

I'm getting a bit worried about this, as this stock cooler isn't doing it's job correctly even when it gets hot it doesn't really speed up much or help with the temperature.

Funny thing was that the case was only 29c but the cpu was nearly burning out.

The pc is running fine today but im not sure about running THINK now :confused:

Chris

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
think puts your CPU under 100% load so it will get damn hot, but 92C is way to hot, what CPU have you got ? is the BIOS set to automatically adjust fan speed with temp ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, it uses your CPU to 100% However, that shouldn't be a problem at all - I'd really check out your cooling!!!!

Whats your CPU/Heatsink? Mine runs quite happily at 100% 24/7 on a decent stock cooler.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I had already mentioned about my rig heating up so planning to shift the entire unit to my bedroom where pretty much the airconditioning is running all the time. That should help crunching overnight.

Currently where it is located the board temp are:

Zone 1 49 Deg C (Red alert at 50)
Zone 2 48 Deg C (Red alert at 50)
CPU (Intel) 59 Deg C (Red alert 75)

The temp of either CPU or board if reaches red alert will trigger the shut down mechanism. I do not have any exotic cooling system but do have a Hard disk cooler, a pci turbo fan cooler and the case fan, all are linked to the bios and vary in speed as temp changes. I alrady noticed RPM at higher side during the running of the program.

I must say that whatever crunching I have done so far is all on my Laptop and it works wonderfully without any problems

After I have moved the system and crunching again will report the details so you guys can have an idea of how much difference it makes. Shifting is a major undertaking since I have to take care of wiring and powering the system, besides moving the desk.

Watch for this space for an update later tomorrow.

Reaction score
I'm using a 3GHz P4 Prescott, and yes everything is auto controlled.

Im actually not sure why it crashed, as its running @ 53c today with no problems, but i've got some new higher RPM fans coming from eBuyer.

And i am going to get a new heatsink as this one is rather pathetic, it's the stock cooler, and im sure it can't handle things well, as the CPU heats up rather quickly in games aswell, which is rather worrying.

The case fans are @ 1400RPM... their silent Akasa ones and their pathetic also, im getting some ~ 2500RPM fans from eBuyer about a quid per fan.

Hope this sorts the cooling out, also im going to rebuild the chassis completely and tidy up my cabling to help the air flow.

Chris

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry folks ... but I did try to warn you all that FaD would indeed raise the temp on your system ... forget all your 'benchmark tools' use FaD, and it will find all the weak spots. :D

Stock cooling is fine for general work as your CPU will probably never have to work at max for more than a few minuets ... P4s will not burn out, but will slow down and turn off if too hot, AMDs will have to be watched ... 55 on most AMD CPUs is fine running FaD ... 60 is a wee bit too hot. Mine averages 55, snooze FaD and it drops quite nicly to around 45/50 ... and it is using a stock cooler.

I will be replacing my HSF for something a little more substancial. :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I made this thread a "stickie", just for a few days ... anybody else having a "Heat proplem" post here, and we'll try to advise on how best to deal with it.

:thumb:

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
I run most of mine with stock coolers. I just turn up the A/C. ;)

As soon as I build a tower, I install and run either FaD or F@H and Speedfan, and watch the temps for a day or so. If it gets too high, then I look at a bigger sink and fan.

I've been running DC projects 24/7 for years, with little down time, and haven't lost a cpu to heat yet.

I think I've been running one DC program or another since 2001 or 2002, and seriously since 2003.

Reaction score
Well i've just had my whole system in bits.

And it's running @ 49c instead of 53c now so i've improved it slightly.

Tidy'd all the cabling and moved some drives about to make room for my new SATA Drive arriving next week.

Sorted all the chassis fans out and their all running @ 2000RPM constantly with the CPU Fan on Auto.

But yeah the system is running 4c cooler and it's overclocked to 3.4GHz

Chris

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
If I have one that starts running hot, I know it's time to clean out the dust bunnies. Amazing how they multiply in a short time. :D

Reaction score
Eurgh i cleaned mine out the other day... took the panels off, stuck the business end of the dyson into it and watched the dust peel off all the surfaces!

Then i cleaned the case fans with wet kitchen roll... and eurgh...almost died of suffication..!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I just fitted a Gigabyte 3D Cooler. Jast before i started "crunching".

(See pic.)

I have the controller at 3000RPM and it sits at 49 deg all day everyday, with a case temp of 38-40deg depending on the room temp.

I use two Vantec Stelth fans for front intake and rear exaust.

That works well for me, and i can recommed the lot, works well. :thumb:

Reaction score
Well i'm happy to announce im using FAD / THINK once again.

Just turned it all back on after the PC has been sitting @ 47c all day which is better than 72c idle this morning with nothing running.

So i should start rising in the Stats again hopefully.

Chris

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its sounds like your CPU Cooler aint up to the job. (Unfortunately) :( As it seems that you have got good case cooling, if the reading of 29c is correct.

chrisimrie said:
the CPU had hit 92c overnight and thus crash

Christ, that would worry the hell out of me!! :eek: But maybe thats coz my AMD would fry at 85c!

Well at least its sorted and you back in the team!! :thumb:

Reaction score
Yeah i got the vacuum cleaner out and sucked all the dust out of the heatsink and it seems to of done the job.

I cleaned the main fan filter out and that's also helped with the air intake through the case, and as i had the whole lot in bits i rewired everything so it's neater and hidden away to improve air flow.

Generally it's all better now :)

Done a full reinstall tonight to give it a helping hand to get better and it seems to of worked.

Chris

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sounds like you been busy!!

Not out on a Saturday night!? :confused::D;)

Ask a Question