F Lock

Chuck Davis

I have a Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A. Following a boot up
the F Lock is off which means none of the keys are the normal Function keys.
They are different functions that seemed important to the designers.
However, when trying to start up in Safe mode it is nearly impossible to get
the F Lock turned on in time for the F8 key to work. Exasperating.

Is there a way to reverse the function of the F Lock key?

Yep, I couldn't find a Keyboard Newsgroup...

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

If you're having problems with the F Lock key, then there is an alternative way to
get into safe mode

There is more than one way to do this.

Using the System Configuration Utility. If you can start the computer normally into
Windows, then this is the easiest way to restart the computer in Safe mode.
To configure the System Configuration Utility to start the computer in Safe mode:
1. Close all open programs.
2. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
3. Type msconfig and then click OK.
4. The System Configuration Utility appears. Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then
click OK.
5. You then see the prompt to restart the computer. Click Restart.
The computer restarts in Safe mode. (This can take several minutes.)
When you finish troubleshooting (in Safe mode) repeat these steps, but in step 4,
uncheck "/SAFEBOOT," and then close all programs and restart the computer as you
normally would.

see:
How to start Windows XP in Safe mode
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001060608000039

David Candy

Here's my boot.ini that adds safe mode and bootlog mode to the main boot menu.

[boot loader]
timeout=3
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /sos /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Bootlog" /fastdetect /bootlog /sos /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Safe Mode" /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal

Read David defending the concept of violence.
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/10/entering_the_ga.html#more

--
===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

Chuck Davis said:
I have a Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A. Following a boot up
the F Lock
is off which means none of the keys are the normal Function keys. They are
different
functions that seemed important to the designers. However, when trying to
start up
in Safe mode it is nearly impossible to get the F Lock turned on in time
for the F8
key to work. Exasperating.

Is there a way to reverse the function of the F Lock key?

Yep, I couldn't find a Keyboard Newsgroup...
I was looking for a change that would simply reverse the function of the F
Lock.

Not being a multi-media person, I should have looked further for a Natural
keyboard without the multi-media stuff on it before settling for the one
that was available in the retail outlet when I needed to replace my old one.
11 years ago, at the age of 65 when I bought my first computer, it took a
while to pick up on a keyboard. That was because I really wanted to. Today,
I use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible. Now, I really don't want to
learn the multi-media stuff, and therefore I won't.

I'll try your suggestions.

Thanks to you all.

David Candy

You can't change it. FLock works at the keyboard. If you hit Control + C windows gets told Control Down, C down, C up, Cntrl up. However Flock just makes 1 key act as two physical keys. So press F8 and it sends either F8 or Fwd key which are two different keys.

MS stole money from me two. Thought I was buying a standard PC keyboard.

Chuck Davis said:
[...]

frodo

The F-Lock key can not be changed programatically, you must physically hit
the key. There is a way to patch it tho, but it is not 100% satisfactory,
as explained here:

http://mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html

My biggest complaint is that I forget to turn it on, and when I go to use
an F-Key it gives me something else. So, I have a little script that runs
from the Startup folder to remind me to turn it on each time I boot up.

Open notepad and create a file with this one line:

MsgBox "Don't forget to turn on F Lock at startup!", 64, "Reminder"

save the file and name it something like REMINDER.VBS

the VBS extension is necessary (double check what notepad names it, it
often likes to add a .txt without you noticing it).

then make a shortcut w/ this command line:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscript.exe c:\reminder.vbs

make sure the paths are right for your drive.

place the shortcut in the start menu's Startup folder. Then each boot up
you get a quick reminder popup.

David Candy

It remaps the Fwd key to F8 (and the others). So when you hit Fwd, windows interprets it as F8. But you are still hitting Fwd as far as the keyboard is concerned. There is no standard fwd key in the list of keys (dunno how old mine is) as it is clearly Mail Forward (it's between Reply and Send) not Browser Forward (which is in the list).

frodo

David Candy said:
when you hit Fwd, windows interprets it as F8. But you are still hitting
Fwd as far as the keyboard is concerned. There is no standard fwd key in
the list of keys (dunno how old mine is) as it is clearly Mail Forward
(it's between Reply and Send) not Browser Forward (which is in the list).

Like I said, it isn't a 100% satisfactory solution. That's why I just
leave it alone (no key remapping) and use the reminder pop-up idea.

----

FWIW (not much)...

I have an Office Keyboard (now discontinued), and I am addicted to the
left-hand-side edit-and-scroll panel, I use it instinctively all the time.
I got a new Optical Desktop Elite, used it for a day, couldn't stand not
having my old layout. It's a nice desktop set tho. But, what's with the
translucent keycaps MS? That's just plain weird. It's not like there's
any interesting technology under those keycaps that merits this "design".
Must have been less expensive plastic or something, but it just looks
weird and pointless.

I sortof liked the logitec desktops, but found the extra media keys were
just too tiny.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks!

What I would really like to see someday is a keyboard w/ gentle legend
backlighting; many home environments would benifit from this; offices tend
to be bright, but family rooms are not. The newest MS keyboards are
USB-Only, so it seems like you could power LED backlighting w/ that
available power source. Fiber optic feeds maybe? Very do-able I'd
imagine.