Extracting Information to Another Sheet

Bob Meldrum

Hi Folks,

Could do with some help on this one.

I have a worksheet thay contains information about employees. In the
1st column is the department they work in, the 2nd column contains
their employee number, the 3rd column their grade etc.

What I want to do is show the details of people in a department and for
each department to be displayed on a separate worksheet. I also want
these subordinate worksheets to automatically update from the master
worksheet.

What formula do I need to identify the department and how do I get
Excel to copy all of the corresponding information for each employee to
another worksheet?

Thanks.

Bob

Otto Moehrbach

Bob
With this being a repetitive process, I would write code (macro) to do
this. This would do the initial copying to the subordinate sheets and is
fairly easy to do. The "automatically update the subordinate sheets" is
another thing. This would depend on the nature of the changes that you
expect to make to the master sheet. Would you be entering only complete new
rows? Or would you be changing the contents of just one or two cells in a
row (grade?)? These kinds of things would drive the nature of the
automation that you could use.
An alternative would be to update the subordinate sheets whenever the
file is saved or opened. This would totally automate the process.
A big factor is the time it would take to update the sheets.. This time
factor is driven by the number of departments that you have and the number
of employees in each department. Post back with more details about what you
have.
If you wish, send me direct a copy of your file or a file that
represents what you have and what you want to have. Include such things as
column headers and general layout of the data and the layout of the
subordinate sheets. My email address is (e-mail address removed). Remove the
"nap" from this address. HATH Otto
"Bob Meldrum" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Bob Meldrum

Hi Otto,

I tried to email you but it bounced back to me as undeliverable. Wha
do you mean by 'remove the "nap"?. My email address i
(e-mail address removed).

Bo