External responses to Appts do not post to tracking unless in cont

Serena

Unless an external attendee is in the contact folder and actually selected
from there, their responses to appts are not posted to the tracking tab.

I narrowed it down to this after doing the following:
Sent appt from my work account to my hotmail acct by simply typing my email
address in the to: line. Accepted the appointment from my hotmail account
and the reply in my work account did not post to the tracking tab.

Sent another appt to my hotmail account, but actually used to the To: button
to select the contact from address book. Reply to that appt posted.

Also tested removing the NK2 entry for myself, and creating it fresh, but
nothing worked.

This came to me via our support desk who took a call from a user. Our
support desk can duplicate it also.

Mike Shen

From: =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZW5h?= <[email protected]>
Subject: External responses to Appts do not post to tracking unless in cont
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 06:48:16 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

Unless an external attendee is in the contact folder and actually selected
from there, their responses to appts are not posted to the tracking tab.

I narrowed it down to this after doing the following:
Sent appt from my work account to my hotmail acct by simply typing my email
address in the to: line. Accepted the appointment from my hotmail account
and the reply in my work account did not post to the tracking tab.

Sent another appt to my hotmail account, but actually used to the To:
button
to select the contact from address book. Reply to that appt posted.

Also tested removing the NK2 entry for myself, and creating it fresh, but
nothing worked.

This came to me via our support desk who took a call from a user. Our
support desk can duplicate it also.

Serena

Mike - thanks for the reply, but something went wrong, because all it it
looks like is a bunch of header info.

Mike Shen

Hi Serena,

Thank you for posting.

From your post, I understand tracking tab is not got updated when external
recipient accepted the meeting request. If the external recipient is added
to Contact and the sender sends meeting request to the recipient by
selecting the Contact from address book, the tracking tab is updated
correctly. If I'm off base, please feel free to let me know.

At this time, please let me know:

1. Whether the issue can always be reproduced?
2. If the issue can always be reproduced, please let me know whether the
issue only occurs when sending meeting request to hotmail. For example, you
can send meeting request to me ([email protected]) to check the issue
3. Please let me know the Exchange and Outlook version you used to test the
issue
4. If you double click to open the accepted meeting message, whether the
tracking tab can be updated successfully.

Sincerely,
Mike Shen
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

With newsgroups, MSDN subscribers enjoy unlimited, free support as opposed
to the limited number of phone-based technical support incidents. Complex
issues or server-down situations are not recommended for the newsgroups.
Issues of this nature are best handled working with a Microsoft Support
Engineer using one of your phone-based incidents.

Serena

1. Issue can always be reproduced
2. Issue occurred on the meeting I sent to you as well
3. Exchange 2007, Outlook 2007, Windows xp
4. Does not update even if you OPEN the reply email accepting the meeting

NOTE: I sent reply to you outside this venue as well with screen shots.

Thanks Mike

Mike Shen

Hi Serena,

Thanks for your response and information.

I understand that the Tracking tab is not updated even you open my accepted
meeting message.

At this time, I would like to share some background knowledge regarding the
issue.

For Exchange 2003, the Sniffer process of Outlook client is responsible for
updating the tracking tab of the Outlook. Once Outlook process the message,
it will use a special mapi property (PR_Processed) to indicate the message
has been processed. Nevertheless, if the PR_Processed has been set to true
before sniffer process accessing the message, the Sniffer process will not
process the message again. Then, the tracing tab may not be updated.
Blackberry device may access the message and set the PR_Processed property
before sniffer process has opportunity to access the message.

For Exchange 2007, the Calendar Assistant process on the Exchange Mailbox
Role is responsible for updating the tracking tab. However, the Exchange
2007 calendar assistant uses a different property than the one used by
Outlook to mark that it has processed an item.

In addition, by default, the Calendar Assistant does not process the
meeting message for external sender. You need to run the following command
to have Calendar Assistant processing meeting message for external sender:

Set-mailboxcalendarsettings user ¨Cprocessexternalmeetingmessages $true

After running the above message, please check the issue again by sending a
new meeting request to hotmail account or my account to test the issue.

Mike