Extending Active Directory Schema for Bitlocker recovery information

Ragnar

Hi

I'm performing the BitLocker Active Directory schema extension with the
commands and files described in the "Configuring Active Directory to Back up
Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption and Trusted Platform Module Recovery
Information". However ldifde stops at step 13 and gives the following error:

13:
CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=testdomain,dc=com
Entry DN:
CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=testdomain,dc=com
changetype: modify
Attribute 0) searchFlags:152

Add error on line 223: Unwilling To Perform
The server side error is "The search flags for the attribute are invalid.
The ANR bit is valid only on attributes of Unicode or Teletex strings."
6 entries modified successfully.
An error has occurred in the program

Btw, line 223 in the ldif file is the first line above "13:
CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation,CN..."

Anyone experienced this?

Thanks.

/Ragnar

Ragnar

Yes, the environment meets all requirements as described in the
documentation, including SP1 (I have R2)...

/Ragnar

admp.team

Hi,

Open the ADSI Edit(using adsiedit.msc) and check the availability
of searchFlags and their Syntax & Value.
Schema --> CN=Schema, CN=configuration,DC=testdomain,dc=com. Right
click and click Properties of the "CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation" object.
The searchFlags Attribute Syntax should be "Integer" and their value
should be 136(which will be changed to 152).

Adam,
ADManager Plus Team.

Ragnar

Hello

I checked (using adsiedit.msc) the searchFlags attribute for
CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation. It said 152, however I'm unable to change to 136
or choose OK when 152 is the value. I then get the following error message:
"The search flags for the attribute are invalid. The ANR bit is valid only
on attributes of Unicode or Teletex strings."

When checking msdn the error code for this message is:
ERROR_DS_INVALID_SEARCH_FLAG
8500

I'm allowed to set the value to 1 and clear the value, but not set to 136 or
152.

The searchFlags attribute syntax is Integer.

Any ideas? Thanks!

/Ragnar

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Ragnar,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, you are following the guide article from our website to
configure Active Directory to back up Windows BitLocker drive encryption.
You are encountering an issue when you follow these steps. Please
understand these steps are tested in our original test environment not in
your specific environment. Therefore, we suspect this issue may be related
to your specific AD environment. For this kind of issue, I'd like to
suggest you try the following channels to obtain effective assistance:

Channel 1:
You may also post to the security newsgroup to see if they have any
information to share with you:
microsoft.private.directaccess.security

This is a more appropriate forum for your question where you will get the
most qualified pool of respondents and other partners in the newsgroups who
can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Channel 2:
Please understand if the issue only occurs in your environment, this may be
a complex issue and need more time to troubleshoot this issue. Therefore,
please contact our CSS to support this kind issue. For a complete list of
Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) phone numbers and information
about support costs, please go to the following address on the World Wide
Web:
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/overview.asp

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Ragnar" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Extending Active Directory Schema for Bitlocker recovery
information
| Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:04:46 +0100
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.vi
sta.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

| Hello
|
| I checked (using adsiedit.msc) the searchFlags attribute for
| CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation. It said 152, however I'm unable to change to
136
| or choose OK when 152 is the value. I then get the following error
message:
| "The search flags for the attribute are invalid. The ANR bit is valid
only
| on attributes of Unicode or Teletex strings."
|
| When checking msdn the error code for this message is:
| ERROR_DS_INVALID_SEARCH_FLAG
| 8500
|
| I'm allowed to set the value to 1 and clear the value, but not set to 136
or
| 152.
|
| The searchFlags attribute syntax is Integer.
|
| Any ideas? Thanks!
|

| /Ragnar
|

| | > Hi,
| >
| > Open the ADSI Edit(using adsiedit.msc) and check the availability
| > of searchFlags and their Syntax & Value.
| > Schema --> CN=Schema, CN=configuration,DC=testdomain,dc=com. Right
| > click and click Properties of the "CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation" object.
| > The searchFlags Attribute Syntax should be "Integer" and their value
| > should be 136(which will be changed to 152).
| >
| > Adam,
| > ADManager Plus Team.
| >

| >> Yes, the environment meets all requirements as described in the
| >> documentation, including SP1 (I have R2)...
| >>
| >> /Ragnar

CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=testdomain,dc=com

CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=testdomain,dc=com

Ragnar

Thanks for your reply.

I don't really know where to find the
microsoft.private.directaccess.security newsgroup. Is it available for
Technet Plus subscribers?

/Ragnar

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello Ragnar,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, you are following the guide article from our website to
[...]

rights.

--------------------
| From: "Ragnar" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Extending Active Directory Schema for Bitlocker recovery
information
| Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:04:46 +0100
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.vi
sta.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

| Hello
|
| I checked (using adsiedit.msc) the searchFlags attribute for
| CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation. It said 152, however I'm unable to change to
136
| or choose OK when 152 is the value. I then get the following error
message:
| "The search flags for the attribute are invalid. The ANR bit is valid
only
| on attributes of Unicode or Teletex strings."
|
| When checking msdn the error code for this message is:
| ERROR_DS_INVALID_SEARCH_FLAG
| 8500
|
| I'm allowed to set the value to 1 and clear the value, but not set to
136
or
| 152.
|
| The searchFlags attribute syntax is Integer.
|
| Any ideas? Thanks!
|

| /Ragnar
|

| | > Hi,
| >
| > Open the ADSI Edit(using adsiedit.msc) and check the availability
| > of searchFlags and their Syntax & Value.
| > Schema --> CN=Schema, CN=configuration,DC=testdomain,dc=com. Right
| > click and click Properties of the "CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation" object.
| > The searchFlags Attribute Syntax should be "Integer" and their value
| > should be 136(which will be changed to 152).
| >
| > Adam,
| > ADManager Plus Team.
| >

| >> Yes, the environment meets all requirements as described in the
| >> documentation, including SP1 (I have R2)...
| >>
| >> /Ragnar

CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=testdomain,dc=com

CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=testdomain,dc=com

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Ragnar,

You may contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS). For the
security newsgroup, it is for Microsoft Partner that need user account and
password.

> [...]

| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Ragnar" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Extending Active Directory Schema for Bitlocker recovery
| > information
| > | Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:04:46 +0100

microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.vi
| > sta.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
| > 136
| > | or choose OK when 152 is the value. I then get the following error
| > message:
| > | "The search flags for the attribute are invalid. The ANR bit is valid
| > only
| > | on attributes of Unicode or Teletex strings."
| > |
| > | When checking msdn the error code for this message is:
| > | ERROR_DS_INVALID_SEARCH_FLAG
| > | 8500
| > |
| > | I'm allowed to set the value to 1 and clear the value, but not set to
| > 136
| > or
| > | 152.
| > |
| > | The searchFlags attribute syntax is Integer.
| > |
| > | Any ideas? Thanks!
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | /Ragnar
| > |
| > |

| > with
Directory
Module
| > the

CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=testdomain,dc=com

CN=ms-TPM-OwnerInformation,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=testdomain,dc=com

| > |
| > |