Exporting VPN Settings

Richard Tubb

Hi,

This question may well apply to "normal" dial-up settings for an ISP, but in
this case I want to export a VPN connection I have created under Windows XP
to provide to end-users (perhaps as a single file that they can double
click) to setup the VPN connection on their desktop.

Clients are primarily Windows XP Professional SP2 users, but I also have a
handful of Windows 2000 users that I may also need to cater for.

Is there a way of exporting a VPN (or dial-up) connection, or perhaps even a
3rd party tool that will do this?

Regards,

Richard Tubb.

Bill Sanderson

Someone else asked this question as well in the last few days, and I haven't
had a chance to investigate further. My thought is that I think that I've
seen these settings migrated with the XP Files And Settings Transfer tool
(FAST).

You might check that tool and the help associated with it out. I'll try to
do so as well later today and respond to this thread.

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your posting here.

I think CMAK (Connection Manager Administration Kit ) is just what you want.

Microsoft Connection Manager is a client dialer and connection tool that
you can customize by using the CMAK Wizard. You can use the wizard to
create service profiles that include the functionality and appearance that
you want for your service. The wizard provides you with the ability to
create a custom Connection Manager dialer for your remote network clients
that they can use to connect to the network. The wizard builds a
self-installing package that contains the service profile. You can then
distribute the custom service profile to users so that they can install and
run the custom version of Connection Manager.

You can specify the elements that you want Connection Manager to support,
such as custom graphics, access numbers for dial-up connections, VPN
connections, automatic programs that run during a connection, and other
features that are specific to your service.

Please refer to the following document for the detailed information about
how to use the Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK) Wizard to
create a custom Connection Manager service profile.

317593 HOW TO: Create a Custom Connection Manager Service Profile in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=317593

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: "Richard Tubb" <[email protected]>
Subject: Exporting VPN Settings
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:52:19 +0100
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely

Hi,

This question may well apply to "normal" dial-up settings for an ISP,
but in
this case I want to export a VPN connection I have created under
Windows XP
to provide to end-users (perhaps as a single file that they can
double
click) to setup the VPN connection on their desktop.

Clients are primarily Windows XP Professional SP2 users, but I also
have a
handful of Windows 2000 users that I may also need to cater for.

Is there a way of exporting a VPN (or dial-up) connection, or perhaps
even a
3rd party tool that will do this?

Regards,

Richard Tubb.

Richard Tubb

Bob,

Many thanks - the CMAK wizard is ideal. For those following this thread it
can be found on the Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server CD in
/i386/adminpak.msi for Windows 2000 PC's, or in the same location on the
Windows 2003 Server CD for Windows XP machines.

Bob - a final question you may be able to help me with. I want to use CMAK
to create a connection profile JUST for a VPN, no ISP dial-up connection
required. When created using CMAK a profile by default asks for a telephone
number to dial. I am having to manually change this option (by clicking
Properties from within the profile logon screen) to "I am already connected
to the Internet". I'd like this option to be ticked as default for my
broadband users who don't need to make a DUN connection before using the
VPN. Can you suggest a way this can be done?

Regards,

Richard Tubb.
www.netlinktrading.co.uk

Richard Tubb

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your suggestion. I was actually unaware of the FAST tool so was
interested in looking at it.

Found a good article at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx
that explains the tools use very simply.

Unfortunately I think the scope of the FAST tool is too broad ranging to use
for simply transfer a VPN or dial-up connection, it seems to be best used
for transferring a whole raft of settings. CMAK is a better option for this
specific job - but I'm glad you opened my eyes to FAST anyway. ;-)

Regards,

Richard Tubb.
www.netlinktrading.co.uk

Bill Sanderson

Yes CMAK is absolutely the best tool for your job.

FAST is wonderful when migrating between machines or an upgrade from
anything to XP. There are some complexities it doesnt handle well,
especially in relation to Outlook Express and Identities, but I've had no
complaints from users whose work I have migrated using it.

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your update.

To set "I am already connected to the Internet" as default settings, you
can try the following steps to create a customized connection.

1 Run CMAK to create a connection
2 Follow the wizard until the last step which including "Advanced
customization"
3 Check "Advanced customization", click Next
4 Choose the .CMP file in file name box
5 Choose Connection manager in the Section name box
6 Type ConnectionType in the Key Name box
7 Type 1 in the Value box
8 Click Apply, click Next.

From: "Richard Tubb" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Exporting VPN Settings
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:36:13 +0100
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely

[...]

Hi Bob,

Just a quick note to say that your advice on CMAK was superb. Many thanks. I
now have a full "one-click" solution to enable users to install VPN details
on their PC's.

Regards,

Richard Tubb.
www.netlinktrading.co.uk

Jack Wang [MSFT]

You are welcome! We are glad that the information is helpful. If you have
any questions in the future, please don't hesitate to post in the
newsgroup. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

> [...]
| > >
| > > Hi,
| > >
| > > This question may well apply to "normal" dial-up settings
for
| > an ISP,
| > > but in
| > > this case I want to export a VPN connection I have created
| > under
| > > Windows XP
| > > to provide to end-users (perhaps as a single file that they
| > can
| > > double
| > > click) to setup the VPN connection on their desktop.
| > >
| > > Clients are primarily Windows XP Professional SP2 users,
but I
| > also
| > > have a
| > > handful of Windows 2000 users that I may also need to cater
| > for.
| > >
| > > Is there a way of exporting a VPN (or dial-up) connection,

Nelson

Bob,
Thanks for the CMAK info. I got it working for my users but I can't
figure out a static route issue. I need my remote users to be able to
access my 192.168.1.0 network. I added a line to the CmRoute section
when creating a new profile on CMAK that has the following:

add 192.198.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 default metric if default

This routes does get push down to the users when they log in to the VPN
but they are unable to access the 192.168.1.0 network because the route
add command uses their ISP IP address as the gateway instead of the PPP
adapter IP address. Is there a way to tell this route add command to
use the PPP adapter IP address?

Thanks

Nelson