Explorer replacement that shows everything on drive?

Tom Ponta

I have Vista Home Premium with SP2 installed. Can someone recommend an
Explorer type file manager that will display absolutely everything on a
drive? By that I mean every last file, regardless of whether the powers
that be feel I need to see them or not.

Thanx:

Buddha

Tom Ponta

I already have that option set as suggested. I still get "Access Denied" on
some folders. I do not want to be denied access to anything on my own PC in
my own living room.

Buddha

Tom Ponta

Since I am the sole owner and user of this system, who do I need permission
from to work with anything on it? I had hoped that disabling UAC (a feature
of Vista I frankly despise) would do away with these hassles. I've used
every Windows version ever released, and DOS before that as far back as DOS
1.2, and I don't need some designer at MS protecting me from myself by
denying me access to any part of my system.

Thanx for your help, Dave:

Buddha

Tom Ponta

You certainly have that right. They never have in the past, why start now.

Buddha

Michal Kawecki

Dnia Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:23:27 -0700, Tom Ponta napisa³(a):
I have Vista Home Premium with SP2 installed. Can someone recommend an
Explorer type file manager that will display absolutely everything on a
drive? By that I mean every last file, regardless of whether the powers
that be feel I need to see them or not.

Just one example: Total Commander, if you run it as SYSTEM user with
psexec.exe from Sysinternals.

Links:
http://www.ghisler.com/
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx

Fuzzy Logic

Since I am the sole owner and user of this system, who do I need
permission from to work with anything on it? I had hoped that disabling
UAC (a feature of Vista I frankly despise) would do away with these
hassles. I've used every Windows version ever released, and DOS before
that as far back as DOS 1.2, and I don't need some designer at MS
protecting me from myself by denying me access to any part of my system.

Thanx for your help, Dave:

Buddha

Since you know DOS you should be familiar with ATTRIB which will give you access to the files you are having
issues with.

R. C. White

Hi, Buddha.

Not an "Explorer replacement" - maybe a predecessor. ;^}

Dir C:\ /s/a

in a Administrator:Command Prompt window. What many of us still call a "DOS
window", even though we know better. In this "elevated" window, every
command and application Runs as Administrator. The good old Dir command
with the /a switch to show ALL files, including those with attributes (like
Hidden and System), and the /s switch to show files in subdirectories - the
entire directory tree. And, since Dir C:\ starts in the Root of C:, it
means EVERY file in that volume. Just be warned: With today's humongous
drives, a list of all files (like the many small .eml and .nws files in
WLM's Message Store) can take a loooong time. But you can always use
<Ctrl>+C to stop. Remember?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA