EXE files

K

Kim

I installed third party software. After installation, all
of my prefetch files are associated with this program. I
cannot open up msconfig, regedit, etc without this program
coming up. How can I change the file associate of a .exe
file to look at Windows only and not this software?

R

Rocket J. Squirrel

You misunderstand the role of pre-fetch, but that is beside the point.

Uninstall your anonymous third party software. Is Windows back to normal? If
so, then you've got a good question for the technical support team of the
third party software.

Rocky

K

Kim

I am not sure if you understand. When going to the file
association type of PF - it is associated with the third
party software. All Windows .exe files are associated
with this software. I cannot uninstall because I go into
Control Panel, choose add/remove programs and the third
party software pops up. Should I delete PF as a
registered file type?

D

David Candy

That won't help. Normally only viruses do this. Are you sure you are not infected.

Can't run applications
Typically happens when cleaning viruses. Often an error message saying Can't find <some file name>. <some file name> is needed to open files of type application". The file name is the virus, the virus has set itself to run when program is started (and it starts the correct program), and as the virus has been deleted applications cannot run. This will fix this and similar non virus problems.

a.. Type this in dos (window ok if you can start it as you should be able to)
copy %windir%\regedit.exe %windir%\regedit.comb.. then merge exe_file.reg (attached) file and exe will run in regedit.
c.. Type regedit.com in Start - Run to start it, then Registry menu - Import the attached file.
This will allow you to run applications so you can complete you repairs.

G

A few suggestions: Right-click on offending program and see if you can change it in Properties or "open with" etceter

Rename the file using several different methods and file extensions

Try using a fresh known-good .exe file from a CD-R, such as an installation program or something, and see if that works

Inside a folder, Go to Tools=> Folder Options => File Types and play around in there

What happened is you had your FILE ASSOCIATIONS altered/changed. (unless there is something more sinister at play) and you need to reset them...try Microsoft HELP files or Google for the answer!!!

G

I am having the same problem, except my exe files are not associated with anything. When I click on any exe file, regedit, ie.exe, etc it just says what would you like to associate this type with. Does anybody know how I associate the exe file back with what it belongs. I refuse to reboot the server because I won't be able to load any programs upon startup.

Ask a Question