    couldn't start the installation.
    All help and advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanx in advance

    zybbok, Mar 27, 2005

  2. Hi there,

    Try the .exe file association fix, download from here:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

    --
    HTH
    Venkatesh

    Venkatesh [MS India Community Star], Mar 28, 2005

  3. zybbok

    fernman

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I just registered to say that, 5 years later, the .exe file association fix that Venkatesh gave still works. Many thanks, I highly recommend it!
    My Avira Antivirus Free let through the "XP Antivirus 2010" malware, which put 3 viruses in my sytem that knocked out my .exe files.
    The fix is in a zipped file, but I couldn't open my unzip software, Zipeg, so I installed the fix on another PC, transferred it on a memory stick, and it got everything working again.

    fernman, Feb 18, 2010
  4. zybbok

    Cabrera

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I was in the same situation as fernman - XP Antivirus 2010 malware on my home PC. I first used the Windows System Restore tool which got rid of the malware but then none of my exe's worked. Then I found the string above and Venkatesh's fix. I transferred it from my laptop to my home PC with the exe problem just as Fernman did.
    My home PC is now cured! Thanks Fernman and Venkatesh!

    Cabrera, Mar 5, 2010
  5. zybbok

    munkeyhatchet

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Wow! Thanks so much. That was a lot easier than the other things people said to do. Everything's working now.

    munkeyhatchet, Mar 31, 2011
  6. zybbok

    ChristineW

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    ChristineW, Apr 19, 2011
  7. zybbok

    LuanaC

    Joined:
    May 21, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you to ChristineW. I did the Run Command method and it fixed it! My Mom will be so happy. She calls me her "Computer Guru". You mad me look so good, couldn't do it without all of you.

    LuanaC, May 21, 2011
  8. zybbok

    computer needy Jim

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Gang--I'm still having an issue in that I can't open any exe files period. even when I download the zips, they're still in that unreadable format. I managed to get my short cuts to reappear and they work by correcting the LNK extension in the file type in the folder options, but I can't get the EXE extension to stick. I've also tried to do a system restore, but it just takes me to a blank page--any suggestions?

    ---Jim

    computer needy Jim, Jun 13, 2011
  9. zybbok

    Security111

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thread worked great everything works again and it fixed it in less than a minute!!! Thanks Guys

    Security111, Dec 18, 2011