    Why is this so?
    How does he get rid of this problem?
    Thanx.

    Jag Chan, Oct 29, 2011

  2. Jag Chan

    philo Guest

    On 10/29/2011 10:35 AM, Jag Chan wrote:
    > My nephew is using Windows XP SP2.
    > Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same name.
    > Why is this so?
    > How does he get rid of this problem?
    > Thanx.

    have him run his virus scanner at once

    philo, Oct 29, 2011

  3. Jag Chan

    Paul Guest

    philo wrote:
    > On 10/29/2011 10:35 AM, Jag Chan wrote:
    >> My nephew is using Windows XP SP2.
    >> Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same name.
    >> Why is this so?
    >> How does he get rid of this problem?
    >> Thanx.

    > have him run his virus scanner at once

    You can get free ones, so it doesn't even have to cost anything
    to check for malware.

    The free version of this, runs in Windows.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malwarebytes

    The free version of this, boots standalone and has its own OS.
    It can scan all the partitions on the disks. If the modem/router
    is already running and supports DHCP, it also downloads the
    latest virus definitions.

    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282163

    "Iso image of Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 (196 MB)"

    You burn a CD with that and boot the computer with it,
    then select the partitions to scan for malware.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 30, 2011
  4. From: "Jag Chan" <>

    > My nephew is using Windows XP SP2.
    > Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same name.
    > Why is this so?
    > How does he get rid of this problem?
    > Thanx.

    Why is he at Windows XP SP2 and not SP3 ?

    Define "Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same name."

    What is "something" ?

    Please be more descriptive of the problem.

    At this time, I don't think its malware related but more facts are needed.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

    David H. Lipman, Oct 30, 2011
  5. Jag Chan

    Jag Chan Guest

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

    > From: "Jag Chan" <>
    >
    >> My nephew is using Windows XP SP2.
    >> Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same name.
    >> Why is this so?
    >> How does he get rid of this problem?
    >> Thanx.

    > Why is he at Windows XP SP2 and not SP3 ?
    >
    > Define "Whenever he copies something it generates an .exe file of same
    > name."
    >
    > What is "something" ?
    >
    > Please be more descriptive of the problem.
    >
    > At this time, I don't think its malware related but more facts are
    > needed.

    Thanx for all the suggestions.
    I Will tell him to implementthem.
    Regards.