    I've noticed that on other users mailboxes. Is there a reason for
    this?

    Should I be concerned?

    Alan Truism, Apr 9, 2007

  2. You need to determine which folders are affected (look in the ost properties
    for folder sizes) - depending on the folders involved it may be a problem or
    not. The sync errors folder does not copy down in cached mode but all other
    folders should.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Outlook Tips by email:

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], Apr 9, 2007

  3. Alan Truism

    Nikki Guest

    Outlook 2003 (In cached mode) and Exchange 2003 - When

    I get the Folder Sizes dialog that lists each folder

    and size in each, There are two tabs in the Folder

    Sizes dialog box in the client properties in Outlook,

    local and server. They Show:

    Local Data Total Size (including subfolders) 136855 KB

    Server Data Total Size (including subfolders) 83997 KB

    The Local is significantly larger than the Server

    because there are (kinda, sorta) two copies of each

    message in the OST, one in Unicode and one in RTF.

    For more detail read on...

    Working with Text in Rich Text Format

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/exchserv/html/infostor_8d9v.asp

    The body of a message in a Microsoft Exchange Server information store is
    kept in the PR_RTF_COMPRESSED property. As the name implies, this property
    contains compressed text that includes rich text formatting information. For
    this reason, the body of any message that will at some time be stored in a
    Microsoft Exchange Server information store or transmitted by Microsoft
    Exchange Server can most efficiently be stored in this property and not, for
    example, in the PR_BODY property. This section describes various ways to
    work with text contained within or destined for the PR_RTF_COMPRESSED
    property.

    RTF-Awareness

    An information store is known as RTF-aware* if it keeps the body and the RTF
    text of a message synchronized. The server information store and the offline
    folder store (OST) are RTF-aware and the personal folder store (PST) is not
    RTF-aware.

    The MAPI RTFSync function synchronizes PR_BODY and PR_RTF_COMPRESSED,
    ensuring that the rich text format body of a message matches the plain text
    body. You call this function before reading the RTF body and after modifying
    the RTF body. This is necessary for when working with the PST. For the
    server information store and the OST, you do not need perform this extra
    step. For information about RTF-awareness in message stores, see the MAPI
    Programmer's Reference.

    *RTF-Aware

    An information store is known as RTF-aware if it keeps the body and the RTF
    text of a message synchronized. The server-based information store and the
    offline folder store (OST) are RTF-aware. The personal folder store (PST) is
    not RTF-aware. See also About Information Store Client and Server
    Components.

    Nikki Peterson

    Microsoft Outlook MVP

    Nikki, Apr 9, 2007
  4. Alan Truism

    Nikki, Apr 9, 2007
  5. Alan Truism

    Alan Truism Guest

    On Apr 8, 10:22 pm, "Nikki" <> wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > *RTF-Aware
    >
    > An information store is known as RTF-aware if it keeps the body and the RTF
    > text of a message synchronized. The server-based information store and the
    > offline folder store (OST) are RTF-aware. The personal folder store (PST) is
    > not RTF-aware. See also About Information Store Client and Server
    > Components.
    >
    > Nikki Peterson
    >
    > Microsoft Outlook MVP
    >
    > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <> wrote in messagenews:OpN$...
    >

    > > You need to determine which folders are affected (look in the ost
    > > properties for folder sizes) - depending on the folders involved it may be
    > > a problem or not. The sync errors folder does not copy down in cached mode
    > > but all other folders should.

    > > --
    > > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    > > Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours

    Any idea why the local OST size would actually be smaller than the
    mailbox size on the server?

    Alan Truism, Apr 9, 2007
  6. Alan Truism

    Nikki Guest

    Probably the client is not synchronizing ALL the folders in his
    mailbox on the server.

    Example: INBOX
    Sub Inbox folder
    Sub Inbox folder