    copy, past append, but I think there should be an easier
    way to do this. Any little help will be appreciated.
    Thank you

    trouble, Dec 15, 2003

  2. trouble

    John Nurick Guest

    Hi Trouble,

    It would be simpler on the whole (bosses apart) to have everyone enter
    their times directly into Access; if you're using Excel it's extremely
    difficult to ensure that the data is "clean".

    The best way of importing data from Excel to Access depends on how it is
    laid out in Excel.

    If it's a block of clean data laid out as a table, you can usually use
    File|Get External Data|Import or DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet. (This
    normally imports all the data on a worksheet, but you can also use
    Insert|Name|Define in Excel to name the range you want to import and
    then import it by name.)

    Otherwise - e.g. if the Excel sheet is laid out like a form with the
    employee name and ID in one place and the dates and hours in a table
    below - you need to use Automation to have VBA code running in Access
    get the values directly from the individual cells in the worksheet. Here
    are some links that help with gettign started:

    Sample Excel automation
    http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0006.htm

    Q123859 ACC: Sample OLE Automation for MS Word and MS Excel
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=123859

    ACC2000: Using Automation to Create and Manipulate an Excel Workbook
    (Q210148) http://support.microsoft.com/?id=210148

    ACC: Using Automation to Create and Manipulate an Excel Workbook
    (Q142476)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=142476

    ACC2000: How to Use Automation to Fill a List Box (Q210145)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=210145
    This article shows you how to use Automation to populate a list box
    with values from a Microsoft Excel worksheet

    --
    John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]

    Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.

    John Nurick, Dec 16, 2003