Excel Excel prob. with two series on one line chart

Reaction score
I just don't seem to be able to plot what I want. My data is gas or electricity meter readings. The first column is the date of the reading, the second and third columns the corresponding actual or estimated reading respectively. (Actual readings are ones taken by me or the supplier. Estimates are the supplier's ones shown on the bill when I have failed to submit one myself.)

From this table, I want to plot two series on the same line chart: actual readings and estimated readings. The X-axis (category axis) is the reading dates. The Y-axis (value) is the readings.

Example:
[font="].......A.............B..........C
.1...Date.........Actual......Estimate
.2..02/01/06......27845
.3..02/04/06......36067
.4..02/07/06......37677
.5..02/10/06......39944
.6..02/01/07..................44824
.7..02/04/07......45678
[/font]

[font="].8..02/07/07......46789
.9..02/10/07......47123
10..02/01/08..................48001
11..02/04/08..................49200
12..02/07/07......49290

[/font]
What I want to appear are two separate lines, one for the actuals and another for the estimates. When I try, the data points are all shown, with separate colours for the actuals (blue) and the estimates (pink) - that is fine - but I would expect to see two complete series lines: a blue one joining all the actual readings, and a separate pink one joining all the estimates. However the lines are broken whenever the reading changes from actual to estimate or vice versa, so there is no blue line joining the points for B5 and B7, for example, nor B9 and B12, and the only pink line is that joining C10 and C11. If I could just get a continuous line for all the actual readings, with the pink dots (estimates) scattered around it, that would be something, but I cannot even achieve that.

I have tried various things, including putting the actuals and estimates in the same column and selecting the individual values for each of the two series (that gave even worse results - too complicated to explain), and I have also tried separating the actuals and estimates into completely separate sets of rows (separate tables effectively), all to no avail.

I think the problem lies in the fact that a common X-axis is being used for two series, and no dates are ever shared of course. All the examples of such charts I have seen in tutorials have a value in each series for each date used (e.g. viewing figures for different TV series for a set of given dates). My data doesn't look like that; dates occur in one series or the other.

Any help? It's driving me nuts.
By the way, it's an old Excel (2000) but it should work.

Reaction score
Is this not to do with your other thread?

If it is could you please delete one of them.:thumb:

Reaction score
Dear Mr. Forum Policeman,

Of course it is a repeat - for the reason stated in the other one, which you ignored! If I could delete the other one, I would. Perhaps you could tell me how - preferably in the other one. I am new to this forum, as you can see.

Reaction score
DulcetTone said:
Dear Mr. Forum Policeman,

Of course it is a repeat - for the reason stated in the other one, which you ignored! If I could delete the other one, I would. Perhaps you could tell me how - preferably in the other one. I am new to this forum, as you can see.
Click "edit" & then delete the message.
Should be easy for you if your this good at excel!

Reaction score
The Edit function (which cunningly also serves for deletion) works at a message level, not the whole thread.
Anyway, it seems someone has kindly deleted the other thread.

Perhaps now someone will address the request in message 1.

I'll happily take this to a more appropriate forum if someone will give me a link...

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your post

Please give us a chance we will be more than happy to assist you on your question :)

BTW Welcome to PCR
happywave.gif

Regards,

Wiz

Last edited:

Ask a Question