Excel excel formula, counting with two columns

njh

Reaction score
I am trying to set up a formula that counts info in 2 columns. Column A consists of names of places and Column B consists of dates. I want to be able to count all of times a place in column A appears between dates in Column B. In other words, each time a place sends a package, I enter them into a row, one column of that row being their name and another column of that row being the date in which they sent the package. I want to be able to automatically tally the number of packages received per month from each place. The month factor would be based on the dates entered into Column B.

Any ideas on how to do this and I would be extremely grateful!

Reaction score
Suggest you try using a PivotTable. I'm no expert on these but the Excel help file gives enough info to enable you to do it. You may find it simpler for your task if you extract the month from the date into it's own column.

Reaction score
I confirm, it is the best way - not to say the only way - to solve your problem.
Data > pivot table > pivot table wizard... etc.

Ask a Question