    way around this?

    Thanks,
    Reeza

    Reeza, May 10, 2007

  2. Reeza

    Ron de Bruin Guest

    Hi Reeza

    You can change the name in all workbooks in Excel 2003 with a macro maybe ?.
    If you want me to take a look at one of the files on my system
    send the file to me private.

    --

    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

    Ron de Bruin, May 10, 2007

  3. Reeza

    Reeza Guest

    On May 10, 1:24 pm, "Ron de Bruin" <> wrote:
    > Hi Reeza
    >
    > You can change the name in all workbooks in Excel 2003 with a macro maybe ?.
    > If you want me to take a look at one of the files on my system
    > send the file to me private.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
    >
    > "Reeza" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    > > Hi All,

    > > I have about 800+ excel workbooks, with an apparent problem. If I
    > > open one of the files in excel 07 it gives me an error message, Name
    > > Conflict
    > > Name cannot be the same as a built-in name
    > > Old name=print_area
    > > new name=

    > > Problem is i don't want to manually go and change all 800 files, any
    > > way around this?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Reeza

    Catch 22..Confidential data, but can't open the file to clear the data
    without first fixing the problem :)

    Reeza

    Reeza, May 10, 2007
  4. Reeza

    Ron de Bruin Guest

    Can't you open the file in 2003 on another machine and change the name ?

    If this is working I can help you with a macro to chnage the names in all workbooks

    Ron de Bruin, May 10, 2007
  5. Reeza

    Reeza Guest

    On May 10, 2:29 pm, "Ron de Bruin" <> wrote:
    > Can't you open the file in 2003 on another machine and change the name ?
    >
    > If this is working I can help you with a macro to chnage the names in all workbooks
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
    >
    > "Reeza" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    > > On May 10, 1:24 pm, "Ron de Bruin" <> wrote:
    > >> Hi Reeza

    > >> You can change the name in all workbooks in Excel 2003 with a macro maybe ?.
    > >> If you want me to take a look at one of the files on my system
    > >> send the file to me private.

    > >> --

    > >> Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

    > > Catch 22..Confidential data, but can't open the file to clear the data
    > > without first fixing the problem :)

    > > Reeza

    Excel prompts you to change the name, can't open the file without
    changing the name first actually.

    It appears to be a range named print_area which conflicts with a built
    in variable in excel. We upgraded all our computers this morning, but
    I'll do one on my personal computer tonight and send it over. Thanks
    Ron.

    Reeza

    Reeza, May 10, 2007
  6. Reeza

    Guest Guest

    I don't know if you'd call this a solution but I think I found a way to
    circumvent the problem. The file I was getting Name Conflict "Print_Area"
    error for had multiple worksheets, all of which had been formatted to print
    only a certain portion of the worksheet. I opened the file in an older
    version of Excel and on each worksheet, I reset the print area. I was then
    able to open the file in Excel 07. An interesting thing about this process
    is that when I opened the newly reset file in Excel 07, the original print
    areas were still intact. This may be a quirk with my individual file or it
    may be a function of the coding. I don't know. All I know is that I can now
    open this necessary file in Excel 07. It also makes me think that the macro
    idea from Ron might be the way to go---set a macro to reset the print areas
    in your files. Hope this helps.

    Michael

    Guest, Jun 20, 2007
  7. Reeza

    witchymissy

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Simple, just go to the Formula Menu and finde the NAME MANAGER. Delete all names filtered to your worksheet.

    Hope this help.
    :thumb:

    witchymissy, Sep 1, 2011