Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when trying to select one.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Misc' started by ladaigle, Jan 6, 2010.

  1. ladaigle

    ladaigle Guest

    I have run in to an odd problem that is difficult to duplicate. When working
    in excel, as you click between different cells, it randomly selects multiple
    cells. For example, if I click on an individual cell it highlights that cell
    plus two to the right (or two to the top/bottom). Tried several solutions
    posted on the web but nothing seems to resolve the root of the problem.

    Tried:

    1. Try tapping the wheel of scroll mouse, if applicable.
    2. Try changing the page view from Page Layout to any other View option:
    View tab > Normal
    3. Close the spreadsheet, open again and see if behavior still exists.
    4. Close Excel, open the spreadsheet and see if behavior still exists.
    5. If cell still selects multiple cells, up keyboard up/down/left/right
    arrows to navigate away and then back to cell, then click in the formula bar
    to edit
    6. If it says EXT or Extend Selection in the bottom left corner of Excel,
    then it is in Extended mode - try tapping the F8 key once
    7. Try zooming out then clicking the cell selection again: View tab > Zoom >
    Edit % in Custom field > Click OK

    It is also impossible to “make this happenâ€. It usually occurs randomly.

    Does MS recognize this as a problem?

    ladaigle, Jan 6, 2010

  2. ladaigle

    Mike H Guest

    Hi,

    You seem to have tried everything except considering a faulty keyboard. If a
    shift key is sticking it will give this problem.

    A few well aimed slaps on the back of the keyboard has been known to
    dislodge dead animals etc.

    Mike

    Mike H, Jan 6, 2010

  3. ladaigle

    Ian Guest

    RE: Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when trying to select one

    I have also come across this problem (my keyboard is almost brand new, when I
    click on a cell it is selecting that cell plus a couple above and a couple
    below so 5 cells altogether.

    Did a google search on it and the only tip I found that sometimes solves it
    is to click in the cell very quickly. Once I've done this once the problem
    seems to away for awhile but it has come back later.

    Ian, Jan 19, 2010
  4. ladaigle

    DBADave Guest

    RE: Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when trying to select one

    Same problem here. This is an obvious bug based upon all of the other
    Internet posts I have read. I've yet to find a Microsoft supported fix.

    DBADave, Feb 10, 2010
  5. ladaigle

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Re: Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when trying to select one

    There has been no fix to date.

    Just keep changing the Zoom level.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, Feb 11, 2010
  6. ladaigle

    SusanW Guest

    At the bottom of your Excel Sheet you may find a menu bar that starts to your
    left with the word "Ready." Look to the far right on the same bar and you
    will see three small icons (1 = normal; 2 = page layout; 3 = page break
    view). To correct the problem, make sure that you are on "normal." Your
    problem will go away. This solution is, however, spreadsheet related and not
    universal for the program, so you may have to correct each spreadsheet where
    the problem exists.

    SusanW, Mar 3, 2010