Excel Excel 2003 - Formula Writing (Countif, Sumif, Countblank)

Reaction score
Okay, I am trying to write a formula using Excel 2003 that will give me a count of the items listed in another tab. However, I am having to use variable formulas such as Countif, Sumif, Countblank, etc for what I need. The problem is the 1st set of formulas I have created are not working for the rest of the document. It seems to only be specific to the range of cells the formula is currently in so when we make updates how do I know this will include the new cells and how can I get the formula to work for everything. Desperate for some seasoned Excel person to assist with this task.

Reaction score
I think what you are looking for is called a Dynamic Named Range. If you are already familiar with Named Ranges, that helps, if not, a Named Range is a name that refers to a set of cells in a spreadsheet. You can create a Dynamic Named Range, typically by using an OFFSET formula in the Refers To to create a named range that will expand and contract as you add and remove cells from a range. To create a basic named range, select the cells you want to name and go to the Insert Menu, choose Name | Define, type a name and you have a simple named range. To create a dynamic named range, you would use an Offset formula to do that, and there is a basic walkthrough of that process here. I think this is what you're looking for. If you're still having issues, could you provide more details, and possibly the formula you're using, that is giving you trouble?

Good luck!

Reaction score
Thank you so much, I am working through it now and will let you know if this doesn't work for me. I really appreciate the quick response.

Tamara!:bow:

Ask a Question