Every ISP's control

Reaction score
Do you think every ISP has a log of websites, keys entered, times websites have been accessed for all their customers?

For instance Admin has probably got a time log of every member and quite possibly a key log within the site (although it probably just for research purposes)

But what about ISP's
how much control do you think they have got?

psd99

Reaction score
Things are logged yes, but depending on what equipment they use then i would expect it'd be on a 'packet' basis.

Things such as internet i wouldn't think would be heavily logged, it is however metered, such as your electric, so every time you pull up a page, a counter ticks up for your account so they can monitor your bandwidth usage.

Things such as websites such as 'PCR' would have an 'IIS' log which would tell the person what IP, Time, Date, Page was pulled, and other information such as errors, logging happens with most things, and there are many other logs that would operate on a website such as 'PCR' there are far too many to go into.

Some ISP's hook up servers to the routing equipment to store logs, but then thats a case of Big Brother and indeed they could track everything you're doing on the internet, i know of a few ISP's which do have this capability for lines which have been deemed 'abusive'.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Do you think every ISP has a log of websites, keys entered, times websites have been accessed for all their customers?

For instance Admin has probably got a time log of every member and quite possibly a key log within the site (although it probably just for research purposes)

But what about ISP's
how much control do you think they have got?

psd99

I'm not sure on ISPs but on this site there is a log of IP's and pages accessed using the IIS log as Chris says. Every website will have a log like this so they can view statistics such as the number of pages viewed and it helps when there are errors (i.e. when someone here reports an error I can look up the page that caused it and the time). There is no key log though (and it isn't possible to do anything like that from the server side), for keys to be logged there has to be a trojan or virus on the users PC! :eek:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't worry what "information" my ISP may "log" or what info they keep on me ... they cannot, nor anybody else, log keystrokes, unless you installed keylogger intentionally or not. ;)

There are Laws in place in this country that are there to protect your personal information ... you'll need a good lawyer. :D

I worry more on the information Asda, Tesco or any of the supermarkets keep on my shopping habits ... I try and confuse them and not eat for a week. :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I worry more on the information Asda, Tesco or any of the supermarkets keep on my shopping habits ... I try and confuse them and not eat for a week. :thumb:
:D - very true Mucks, whenever I don't buy a regular item for a short while, I suddenly get a money off voucher come through :rolleyes:

Reaction score
interesting that. To extend this further I wonder how much power the FBI or mi5 have over the internet.

I bet they could log anyone's activites should they need to. I bet they have got some advanced equipment and software that is suffice enough for their tasks.

Two types of keyloggers, one is a software type and the other is a hardware type.
The hardware type sits between the keyboard port and the keyboard port on the motherboard. The hardware type can pick up any key activities, including keys typed into bios before the computer enters the OS.

At times I get a bit concerned, about accessing personal data in remote locations. Does anyone else have this slight fear?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I have a great fear of heights ... so I don't intentionally go any higher than my feet will take me.

I have no fear of the Internet ... if I had, I wouldn't be here. ;)

For around £50 I can buy "equipment" and sit outside your house with a laptop and "see" everything you do on your PC ... I don't need a keylogger. :wave:

The FBI don't need the resources of an ISP, they just need a supina (sic ?) to access the records. They do have great skills in tracking Internet criminals. Trouble is, they do not have jurisdiction in some countries and have to rely on support of the local authorities. ;)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
For around £50 I can buy "equipment" and sit outside your house with a laptop and "see" everything you do on your PC ... I don't need a keylogger.
happywave.gif

This is another worry for me,

But I think I could do this for free.

Ask a Question