Event log errors 8021, 8032, 3019, 3034...

A

Anthony Perona

To Whom It May Concern:

I am running seven Windows 2000 Servers in an Active Directory domain, all with Service Pack 4 installed. I am also running a Windows NT 4.0 domain, which has a two-way trust with the Windows 2000 domain. The reason for this is that my clients have just been migrated to the Windows 2000 domain, but the Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 still exists in the Windows NT 4.0 domain.

In the Windows 2000 domain, I have been and am still getting the event log errors 8021, 8022, 8032, 3019, and 3034, but very intermittenlty...maybe two to three times per week. The most common error events are 8021 and 8032. These errors can occur in any one of the servers, indicating that it is not a specific server issue. These issues also show up in the Windows NT 4.0 domain, but don't seem to appear as often. I have spent hours researching these errors and checked to make sure all known issues were resolved or didn't affect me.

When these problems occur, Microsoft Internet Explorer will not be able to find its' default home page on those servers that lost their browser list...weird, huh? Also, FTP client services will not work. However, I do have some level of connectivity because I can ping the hosts I am trying to FTP or browse to. I can also connect to shares that have already been established. To remedy this problem, a simple restart of the computer seems to do the job.

The real problem shows it's ugly head in the fact that two of our applications rely on browser services to function. The only way I have been able to clear these probelms up is to reboot the affected servers. My other servers and services seem to function quite well even when these browser-dependent services crash. I have an application server with a few legacy 16-bit DOS and Windows applications that don't recover well from network latency issues and disconnects, and they don't seem to be affected by the browser problem. This leads me to believe that the problem is not hardware.

I don't know where to turn from here. I can use anyone's help who might have knowledge in this area or be able to tell me how I can go about troubleshooting this issue.

Thanks so much in adavance!
Anthony Perona
A+, N+, MCSE Windows NT 4.0

M

Marina Roos

Have you tried www.eventid.net to look up those events?

Marina

"Anthony Perona" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht To Whom It May Concern:

I am running seven Windows 2000 Servers in an Active Directory domain, all with Service Pack 4 installed. I am also running a Windows NT 4.0 domain, which has a two-way trust with the Windows 2000 domain. The reason for this is that my clients have just been migrated to the Windows 2000 domain, but the Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 still exists in the Windows NT 4.0 domain.

In the Windows 2000 domain, I have been and am still getting the event log errors 8021, 8022, 8032, 3019, and 3034, but very intermittenlty...maybe two to three times per week. The most common error events are 8021 and 8032. These errors can occur in any one of the servers, indicating that it is not a specific server issue. These issues also show up in the Windows NT 4.0 domain, but don't seem to appear as often. I have spent hours researching these errors and checked to make sure all known issues were resolved or didn't affect me.

When these problems occur, Microsoft Internet Explorer will not be able to find its' default home page on those servers that lost their browser list...weird, huh? Also, FTP client services will not work. However, I do have some level of connectivity because I can ping the hosts I am trying to FTP or browse to. I can also connect to shares that have already been established. To remedy this problem, a simple restart of the computer seems to do the job.

The real problem shows it's ugly head in the fact that two of our applications rely on browser services to function. The only way I have been able to clear these probelms up is to reboot the affected servers. My other servers and services seem to function quite well even when these browser-dependent services crash. I have an application server with a few legacy 16-bit DOS and Windows applications that don't recover well from network latency issues and disconnects, and they don't seem to be affected by the browser problem. This leads me to believe that the problem is not hardware.

I don't know where to turn from here. I can use anyone's help who might have knowledge in this area or be able to tell me how I can go about troubleshooting this issue.

Anthony Perona

S

Steven Umbach

It sounds like you have master browser and name resolution problems. The 80xx events are all related to master browser problems, probably because you have at least one master browser with more than one nic, you have a wins server with more than one nic, or your domain controllers/server/wins server are not also wins clients. A wins server should point only to itself as it's wins server. The rebooting that is clearing the problem is probably causing browser elections to happen and a different master browser is elected or browse list is temporarily correct. This can be difficult to track down. By default the W2K domain controller is the pdc fsmo and also is the domain master browser and must also be a wins client and not have multiple nics or you will almost certainly have browse list problems. If you have any W2K servers that have more than one nic, I would disable the computer browser service on those computers so that they can not become browse list holders. The W2K pdc fsmo domain controller should not have more than one nic.

The other thing to check is your dns configuration on the W2K domain. Proper dns configuration is absolutely critical or you will have various problems. The W2K domain controllers should point to themselves or another W2K domain controller that is properly configured with dns and NEVER have an ISP dns server listed in he tcp/ip properties of a W2K domain computer even far down the list. You also can use netdiag to check configuration for the domain on all domain member computers and dcdiag for domain controllers [both available on install cdrom/support/tools - run setup]. In places where applications are failing, such as you mention Internet Explorer, try substituting ip address instead of name to see if application works which would indicate name rsolution problem. See links below for more info. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291382
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;135404
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;102878
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;188305
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191611

To Whom It May Concern:

Anthony Perona

A

Anthony Perona

Marina,

I have tried EventID.net. This is one of the first places I go to help resolve problems...nothing found here.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Have you tried www.eventid.net to look up those events?

Marina

"Anthony Perona" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht To Whom It May Concern:

Anthony Perona

M

Michael Johnston [MSFT]

This is a netbios problem of some sorts. The usual culprits are multihomed machines acting as browser masters or split
registration on WINS. This can also be caused by filtering software that blocks Netbios traffic. Either firewall software or AV
software can block NBT. Specifically, Trend Micro AV software has been known to cause this problem.

If the servers have netbios over TCP/IP enabled, WINS servers only point to themselves for WINS and you have no multihomed
machines, the problem is most likely due to 3rd party software on these machines. In most cases, uninstalling the software is the
only way to fix the issue.

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
Microsoft Network Support
--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
which they originated.

A

Anthony Perona

Michael,

Thanks for the information! The only thing that I had not done was make
sure that the WINS server pointed ONLY to itself. I set this up and am
going to try again...

Anthony

Michael Johnston said:
This is a netbios problem of some sorts. The usual culprits are
multihomed machines acting as browser masters or split
registration on WINS. This can also be caused by filtering software that
blocks Netbios traffic. Either firewall software or AV
software can block NBT. Specifically, Trend Micro AV software has been known to cause this problem.

If the servers have netbios over TCP/IP enabled, WINS servers only point
to themselves for WINS and you have no multihomed
machines, the problem is most likely due to 3rd party software on these
machines. In most cases, uninstalling the software is the
only way to fix the issue.

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
Microsoft Network Support
rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this
message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from

A

Anthony Perona

Steven,

Thanks for the information! The only thing that I had not done was make sure that the WINS server pointed ONLY to itself. I set this up and am going to try again...

Anthony
It sounds like you have master browser and name resolution problems. The 80xx events are all related to master browser problems, probably because you have at least one master browser with more than one nic, you have a wins server with more than one nic, or your domain controllers/server/wins server are not also wins clients. A wins server should point only to itself as it's wins server. The rebooting that is clearing the problem is probably causing browser elections to happen and a different master browser is elected or browse list is temporarily correct. This can be difficult to track down. By default the W2K domain controller is the pdc fsmo and also is the domain master browser and must also be a wins client and not have multiple nics or you will almost certainly have browse list problems. If you have any W2K servers that have more than one nic, I would disable the computer browser service on those computers so that they can not become browse list holders. The W2K pdc fsmo domain controller should not have more than one nic.

The other thing to check is your dns configuration on the W2K domain. Proper dns configuration is absolutely critical or you will have various problems. The W2K domain controllers should point to themselves or another W2K domain controller that is properly configured with dns and NEVER have an ISP dns server listed in he tcp/ip properties of a W2K domain computer even far down the list. You also can use netdiag to check configuration for the domain on all domain member computers and dcdiag for domain controllers [both available on install cdrom/support/tools - run setup]. In places where applications are failing, such as you mention Internet Explorer, try substituting ip address instead of name to see if application works which would indicate name rsolution problem. See links below for more info. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291382
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;135404
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;102878
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;188305
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191611

To Whom It May Concern:

Anthony Perona

Ask a Question