Event ID 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

B

Beamguy

I have a Sony DSC-W80 digital camera, and I have great difficulty copying the files to my PC through the USB port on two of my four
PC's. Two other PC's work fine. The two that give me great trouble produce copious error events in the event log like that shown in
the subject line (about 100 per minute). The transfer runs very slow - and when there is a longish movie file on the camera the
transfer eventually will fail claiming there is an IO error. This was happening for some time on one PC, which has now been
recently rebuilt with a fresh copy of winxp pro. My other desktop has the same issue. Both are AMD Athlon systems with VIA Chipsets.
Asus A8V-VM SE motherboard on one and MSI K9VGM-V AM2 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard.

My two laptops, one by Compaq and one by Dell can read the files without incident in less than a minute - while the current estimate
on this PC is 168 minutes.

When I googled this issue I find many others with a similar issue, with memory keys and USB hard drives mostly. No one has reported
back that they found the cause of the issue and fixed it. There are a wide variety of systems represented - though all I found had
Athlon processors. Does anyone out there recognize this problem and know what the fix is?

Thanks,
Mike

B

Beamguy

Beamguy said:
I have a Sony DSC-W80 digital camera, and I have great difficulty copying the files to my PC through the USB port on two of my
four PC's. Two other PC's work fine. The two that give me great trouble produce copious error events in the event log like that
shown in the subject line (about 100 per minute). The transfer runs very slow - and when there is a longish movie file on the
camera the transfer eventually will fail claiming there is an IO error. This was happening for some time on one PC, which has now
been recently rebuilt with a fresh copy of winxp pro. My other desktop has the same issue. Both are AMD Athlon systems with VIA
Chipsets. Asus A8V-VM SE motherboard on one and MSI K9VGM-V AM2 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard.

My two laptops, one by Compaq and one by Dell can read the files without incident in less than a minute - while the current
estimate on this PC is 168 minutes.

When I googled this issue I find many others with a similar issue, with memory keys and USB hard drives mostly. No one has
reported back that they found the cause of the issue and fixed it. There are a wide variety of systems represented - though all I
found had Athlon processors. Does anyone out there recognize this problem and know what the fix is?

Thanks,
Mike

P

Paul

Beamguy said:
I have a Sony DSC-W80 digital camera, and I have great difficulty copying the files to my PC through the USB port on two of my four
PC's. Two other PC's work fine. The two that give me great trouble produce copious error events in the event log like that shown in
the subject line (about 100 per minute). The transfer runs very slow - and when there is a longish movie file on the camera the
transfer eventually will fail claiming there is an IO error. This was happening for some time on one PC, which has now been
recently rebuilt with a fresh copy of winxp pro. My other desktop has the same issue. Both are AMD Athlon systems with VIA Chipsets.
Asus A8V-VM SE motherboard on one and MSI K9VGM-V AM2 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard.

My two laptops, one by Compaq and one by Dell can read the files without incident in less than a minute - while the current estimate
on this PC is 168 minutes.

When I googled this issue I find many others with a similar issue, with memory keys and USB hard drives mostly. No one has reported
back that they found the cause of the issue and fixed it. There are a wide variety of systems represented - though all I found had
Athlon processors. Does anyone out there recognize this problem and know what the fix is?

Thanks,
Mike

Have you tried placing a cheap USB2 PCI card in the desktop systems ?
Find one with a NEC chip on it.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/15-166-002-09.jpg

That will take less of your time, than trying to fix what you've fot.

Paul

Ask a Question