Evaluating XPe, Hello World problem executing on target

MReich

Hello,

After going through the tutorial that includes tweakui on the
target, and the Hello World tutorial, I am attempting to extend the
latter to run on the target. Following the tweakui tutorial, for
now, the target is the desktop with a second hard drive.

Using TD, I revised the HelloWorld.slx by:

1. Adding the Demo Platforom Component generated by TAP.

2. Changing the Use Common Interface Core settings to include Run
and how All Programs list on Start menu, etc.

3. Following advice in this group, added a registry entry directly
under HelloWorld.slx, Extra Registry Data:

Key Name: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Value Name: Helloworld.exe
Type: REG_SZ
Value: %16422%\XPE_tut\HELLOWORLD.EXE

Running the target, FBA runs initially, then reboots. The start
menu appears after the second boot. HelloWorld does not run, nor
does it appear in the program menu. Attempting to run it using
either 'run' or the browsing 'My Computer' result in the same error
message dialogue box, which indicates that 'msvbvm60.dll' is
missing. On the desktop, that dll appears to be MSBasic. Is it
required to run HelloWorld? If so, how should it be included in the
target?

Several other questions, comments:

1. Getting the XPe target to boot took too much effort for what
turned out to be a common problem; the desktop run Win2000, and XPe
needs the XP boot loader. Agan the problem was resolved only by
reading posts to this group. The workaround, copying the XP loader
to a floppy, should be promimently displayed in the tools studio
documentation, installation section.

2. Running a dedicated app probably is a common use for XPe. As
such the documentation for doing so should not be buried in Appendix
Info/ Custom Resources/ RunOnce Request

3. Moreover, the RunOnce Request item may be complete for an XP
expert, but the chart preceeded by

"The following table shows the custom or extra resources you can add
in Component Designer or Target Designer."

needs some explanation. Are the items listed under 'Name or Format'
extended properties in the key? If not, what are they? Does the
key 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run' require anything
more than a value containing the path of an executable for each
exectable to be run after boot?

4. A previous post to this group suggests:

From: Andy Allred [MS] ([email protected])
Subject: Re: autostart an app...
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded
Date: 2002-04-06 21:31:57 PST

..
Set the key in component designer to edit, not overwrite the key.

Does this mean that the 'write option' under 'advanced resource
properties' for the registry key should be set to 'always edit the
value'?

5. Is the %16422% macor correctly used above? Again, the
documentation provides very scant guidance.

Thanks, M.Reich

Dan Simpson [MS]

Hi,

I have opened Bugs against the XPE documentation for each of these issues
you brought up. These will all be addressed in the next XPE documentation
update.

Thanks for your comments!

Dan