Especially for Abarbarian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I had to open my Antec Sonata Mk II case so took these pix of mucho Noctua goodness :)

As I know our man oop north with the spiked club and Viking helmet is such a big fan of the stunning Noctua fan colour scheme, these pix are for him.

That's a Noctua cooler on an AMD 3.2Ghz dualie black edition with two Noctua 120mm fans in a push-pull config plus another identical fan exhausting at the rear of the case.

All 3 fans are the low speed versions. The machine is incredibly quiet and runs full tilt at 39 - 42C, idles on a steady 35C.

attachment.php

attachment.php

All the discs shown are storage disks. The primary disk is mounted above in a 5.25" bay in a caddy so I can swap OS's in and out. It's connected to Port 1. This is the machine where I'm currently using both Mint 8 and Win XP Pro SP3.

I hoovered out the case (the rear fan hasn't yet been cleaned in the pix) and made a minor repair.

The front of the case is fixed on with 6 lugs. I lifted the case from underneath the top lip and managed to break one at the top so I drilled a hole through metal and plastic and put in a small self-tapper.

The door catch is also snapped off and swings open a little but I can use the key to lock the door.

There were also some scratches on the case side but a quick dabble with a black permanent marker almost disguised them, not noticeable at a glance now anyway.

I may very well spray the sides of the case but I don't think I'll be able to achieve that piano finish.

I was thinking of replacing the case because of all these minor faults, but not now. A little time spent saves money, does it not?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 293

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yet another thread that died a death.

Ok, I know it been posted before in different form but...

lol, I give up :D

Colour me from now on resting on the sidelines observing.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"A little time spent saves money, does it not?"

By gum you could almost be a tyke
nod.gif

Them fans are to die for ;) an I mean that most sarcastically
laughingsmiley.gif

Thems pretty cool temps :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey I read the thread flopp's and yeah I agree with Abarb those fans do look crap in that colour scheme, only thing I can think of is that the manufacturer had a load of creme outers and brown inners and thought "sod it bung em together they'll still be silent and do the job, and who the hell looks inside there cases anyway"..:D

And yes a little time spent does save dosh!
nod.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Good fans them Noctua's. :)

It is a shame they arn't a little nicer colour. Infact when i installed me now GFX i was thinking about getting some new ones for the cooler. Xigmatek's? Sharkoons?

I do actually have a Akasa Apache sitting doing nothing....

HS-056-AK_200.jpg

Not the best looking either.... lol

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As I have mentioned before, initially I didn't like the Noctua colours but they grew on me. Where are Noctua based? I think it's Austria but I ain't sure, maybe that has something to do with it.

But I wonder - what would be the ideal 2 tone colour then?

All very well to criticise but what would your choice be?

It may be worse :)

Myself, I think it would be a dark grey outer and light grey inner. Which will probably make some folk puke.

I would never, ever go for bright primary colours, they are all nursery and colouring books.

And I've stopped sulking now, all I try to do is keep the forum alive ya know.... ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sharkoons are Black outer and White fans, they look good.

Depends if you like the whole neon look, personally im going off it, which is one of the reasons i prefer the look of the noctuas etc. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
100% Black or 100% Clear Acrylic . Really depends on if you can see em or not. I saw some really awesome looking 100% aluminium fans they looked dead cool.
nod.gif

Ask a Question