Errors On Close of Application

Kevin Z Grey

Heya,

I've had errors randomly occur upon application close
while my application is deployed to the user base (but I
have no been able to reproduce them locally). I am
operating under the assumption that these exceptions are
not caught explicitly in my application but are swallowed
by the CLR until app shutdown. Is this a correct
assumption? Why is it that they display upon app shutdown
versus when they occur? Are they typically in a seperate
thread? Is there an easy way to identify the source of
these exceptions? Is it possible that my exceptions
occurr inside a seperate thread inside some core CF
classes?

~~K

Katie Schaeffer [MSFT]

Hi Kevin,

We have a bug where we weren't properly exiting and showing the error
dialog when an unhandled exception occured inside some GUI events - the bug
states the following events are affected:
Trackbar's ValueChanged event, all TreeView events, Selected*Changed from
TabControl, ComboBox and ListBox, and all listView events.
Unfortunately we couldn't fix this for a service pak - as someone relying
on this behavior would see their app exit all of a sudden. If this is the
bug you're running into then these exceptions would be occuring on your
main (GUI) thread.

As to identifying the source - the best thing to do is attempt to repro
under a debugger using the same service pak as your users. If that is not
possible, you can try examing the code inside the events mentioned above
for the paticular exception, or purhaps insert try-catch blocks inside
these events. (This bug only affects the showing of the error dialog in
the case of an unhandled exception).

Hope that helps,
-Katie

***.Net Compact Framework Info***