    downloading and installing it, I used it to remove the WD definitions update
    and then ran WD and checked for updates - problem solved. Hope this helps
    somebody else. :)

    Guest, Apr 26, 2006

    Tried above and it didn't work for me. Got a balloon message with a red X
    telling me that the updates could not be installed because the "wrong disk"
    was inserted in drive... and then it vanished before I could write it down.

    Meanwhile, the auto update icon in the system tray keeps coming up saying
    the updates are ready to download. When I click it it changes to say they are
    ready to install and then the installation fails with the following message:

    Updates were unable to be successfully installed

    The following updates were not installed:
    Definition Update 1.14.1408.8 for BETA Windows Defender (KB915597)

    Then the auto-update loops and starts again saying the updates are ready to
    download. This has been going on for the last day or so.

    Guest, Apr 26, 2006

    The "wrong disk" error message I referred to above:

    "WD was unable to complete the update: 0x80240022. The wrong
    diskette is in the drive. Insert %2 (Volume Serial Number: %3) drive into
    drive %1."

    Found in the post below by penguin7 entitled "WD 'Signature Update' could
    not be installed."

    This is obviously a coding error.

    Guest, Apr 26, 2006

    Try the following, it might work:

    1) Uninstall WD thru Add and Remove Programs

    2) Launch cmd prompt

    3) MsiExec.exe /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}

    4) Delete all contents of Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates

    5) Reinstall WD

    Guest, Apr 27, 2006

    (Sigh.)

    Thanks. Before I try this I guess I should note the following for the record:

    I'm currently running these WD versions and signature update version

    Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1051.0
    Engine Version: 1.1.1372.0
    Signature Version: 1.14.1404.6

    I did find a way to stop the annoying loop in auto-updates - I turned off
    Windows automatic updates and cleaned up my drive in the usual way using Disk
    Cleanup (and removed all the temp files that Disk Cleanup always seems to
    miss from my ..\Local Settings\Temp directory.) I ran ScanDisk and defragged
    the drive and turned on auto updates and the auto update systray icon did not
    return and loop etc.

    I started up this morning and tried updating the def set by hitting Check
    for Updates in WD. The program checked and gave me the now-familiar drive
    missing error.

    I am now downloading the latest WD build (which is later than the one I
    have, according to other posts in this group) hoping to reinstall and fix the
    problem.

    to be continued...

    Guest, Apr 27, 2006

    OK. I turned off and uninstalled WD, installed the newer build and let WD get
    the update. All is well and I am once again protected from the scum of the
    Internet (take that, you dasterdly bad guys!)

    Now running:

    Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1347.0
    Engine Version: 1.1.1372.0
    Definition Version: 1.14.1408.8

    Of course it may all happen again with the next auto-update, but that's
    Beta, baby...

    Guest, Apr 27, 2006